Epilogue

My eyes were settled on the onyx black headstone but I didn't read a word. I couldn't. The funeral service had been short with only a select few people invited. In other words, as much as the Thompson's wanted the service to be big and glamorous, Jasper and I vehemently forbade them from doing anything of the sort. As much as Adri loved dressing up and having unlimited money at her disposal, she had a deep hatred for all the glamour that she had been forced to be accustomed with. The hatred rooted from her parents of course, who had been in this town a grand total of 6 nonconsecutive days in the past two years. With some harsh words for his distanced parents, they let us be the organisers and other than the Thompsons, we invited only my family and a close friend Adri had made in the rehab centre in London.

"How are you holding up," I blinked out of my stupor as I realised I was now seated beside the freshly covered grave. I glanced at Jasper. He was dressed in, albeit black but nonetheless, casual attire and he looked quite handsome.

"I don't know," and I really didn't. It had been a long time since I had felt this kind of raw pain, and it hurt. So damn much.

"How did you know to invite him?" Jasper asked. I followed his gaze to the tall boy just about Jasper's height and age standing off to the side near the edge of the graveyard. He had stayed silent throughout the service, only speaking to me once, to thank me for the invite. He was handsome with his thin angled face and slender body. He had warm golden brown eyes and a lightly tanned skin, I could definitely see what had attracted Adri. I suspected their connection ran far deeper than what we'd ever know.

"When I was packing her stuff, she had a hidden stack of letters hidden in her closet. They've been writing letters to each other since she came back from London. I only read a small part before I realised what they were. I didn't touch the rest of them. I just gave all of them to him," I said, looking at him thoughtfully. I think he may have felt our gaze because he found my eyes and gave me a small nod. "His name is Leo."

"Were they –?"

"Possibly," I answered his silent question, before we descended into silence again.

"I think my parents got a heart attack when they saw what you were wearing," he said suddenly, with a small humourless chuckle. I scoffed lightly, the corners of my mouth barely quirking up.

It was before Adri's second suicide attempt. The night before to be exact. We had one of our usual sleepovers which was all fun and games until she suddenly became serious.

"What the fuck!? You can't just play the game when I've gone to eat! I paused it! Next time I'm taking the remote with me," I exclaimed and Adri let out a loud laugh. And I smiled with satisfaction. Adri had been down for a while, and I have been doing all I could to cheer her up. I quickly grabbed the remote and tried to catch up when she suddenly paused the game.

"Scarlett let's make a pact," she said, the humour all gone from her eyes. I raised an eyebrow as I subtly glanced at her covered wrists. The sleeves didn't allow me to see if they were bandaged or not so I quickly grabbed her hand before she could pull away and pushed up her sleeve.

"Adri, not again," I said shaking my head with disappointment. She pushed me away.

"Let's make a pact," she said more urgently.

"What pact?"

"If I die before you, you have to promise to wear a bright yellow sundress, okay?"

"Don't talk like that! You're going to see your therapist tomorrow okay? I won't let you relapse, let's fight it before you fall too –,"

"Just promise me!" she pressed. I sighed.