Chapter 19

George's POV:

I had made the Muggle girl in the shop laugh today with some old Muggle card tricks that Fred and I learned. But each time she laughed it was like a knife to my ears, I couldn't stand it. After a few more minutes of torture for my ears we apparated back up to our room in the Burrow. Fred and I were just starting to look through the boxes that were being stored in our old room, when we heard Ginny knock on our door to come down for dinner. We walked out and Ginny was waiting for us with a sneaky grin on her face.

"What's with the smile little sis?" (G)

"You'll see, now hurry up. Mum got you an early present." (Gin)

We watch as she starts running down the stairs before I look at Fred and see that he has a similar grin to Ginny's. I turn and start running down the stairs after Ginny, with Fred Right behind me. When we get on the first flight of stairs I hear a sound I haven't heard in months. The most beautiful laugh in the world. Coming from the most beautiful girl in the world, Katherine. My Katherine.

"Katherine?" (G)

"Hello George. Merry Christmas isn't it?" (K)

I find myself frozen as I look at her offer me a cautious looking smile as she sits next to Remus. I hear mum tell us to sit down for dinner, and I feel Fred push me forward into a chair across from her. I start to say something to her, but Ginny steals her attention and starts talking to her. The greatly missed sound of her voice keeps me from interrupting their conversation, and I find myself staring at her for the entire meal. I can only imagine I have mum to thank for this present right now, though how she managed it I may never know.

Kat's POV:

I'm not sure what Mrs. Weasley expected to happen really, with me at dinner anyway. The majority of the meal was spent in a cheerful silence by most, but a rather awkward silence between George and me. He was sitting across from me, and I could feel his eyes on me each time I looked down at my plate or spoke with someone else at the table. I'm pretty sure he could feel my eyes on him when he wasn't looking as well.

Though we hadn't spoken a word to each since he came downstairs. Mrs. Weasley was prodding at both of us to talk to one another, but I think we both agree that we'd rather speak in private first. Dessert was just as tense for me, and probably him as well, as we spent it in silence with one another. Stealing glances while the other wasn't looking, in between bites of pudding.

"Well now, I'll get this all cleaned up and then we'll listen to a bit of Christmas music before we go to bed." (Mrs. W)

I watched as everyone started to spread out in the room, as Mrs. Weasley carried all the plates from the table to the kitchen with her wand. I felt him walk up next to me and gently touch my arm, sending jolts through my heart as he did. I looked up into the warm brown eyes I'd missed seeing so much as he leaned down to whisper to me.

"Katherine, can we talk?" (G)

"Of course." (K)

"You alright to take a walk outside?" (G)

I give him a nod and a small smile as I spot the nervousness in his eyes. The same nervousness that fills my own. I put on a coat as I meet him at the front door, and we walk out into the night with the moon, almost half-full, shining down on us. I follow beside him silently as we walk towards the woods and stop by an old looking tree on the edge of the woods. He leans against part of it and I walk up next to him and lean on the other half of the old tree before looking up at the sky, watching a few clouds begin to block the stars from view.

"So, how have you been Kat?" (G)

"I've been alright. Busy with a job and the Order." (K)

"You got a job? That's good. How's the Order business going?" (G)

"It could be better, but it could also be worse. Fred tells me the shop is doing well." (K)

"Couldn't be better." (G)

"That's good." (K)

"It's......it's good to see you Katherine. I've missed you." (G)

I hear the desperation from his voice and I turn towards him and look at him as tears seem to grow in his eyes. I feel my eyes begin to mirror his as I feel my heart ache to have him hold me in his arms right now, but I keep myself from tackling him. I need to know how he missed me, as only a friend or as more.

"You have?" (K)

"More than you could ever imagine. I've missed your smile, your laugh, the curls in your hair, the way your eyes sparkle all the bloody time, your freckles, your sense of humor, your passion, your strength, your touch, your voice, everything. I've missed everything about you. I know I never responded to the letter you sent. But you must know, surely you must know that I love you still. I never stopped loving you. I missed you last year, even if I never said it. I loved you all the time that we were apart and I hated myself for the words said to you in anger. I've missed you every day we've been apart, and I've only hated myself more the longer we were apart. Could you ever forgive for being the biggest git in all of England?" (G)

I looked into his eyes as he looked up from the ground and the tears that were building in them are slowly starting to fall. I've never seen him cry in front of me before this moment, and the sight makes my own tears fall. I place my hands on either side of his face and wipe away the tears falling from his brown eyes.

"George, I forgave you months ago. I still love you as much as I ever have. Could you forgive me for my words of anger? You are an amazing wizard, you could never be a joke." (K)

"Forgive you? After what I did, what I said to you Kitty, there is nothing to forgive you for. I love you." (G)

"I love you too." (K)

I lean up on my toes as he moves his head towards mine, and as his lips gently touch my own I feel my heart repair itself. I feel both of us smile in the kiss as we wrap our arms around each other. I hear Fred and Ginny calling for us back at the house after a few more moments, and we slowly pull away from each other's lips.

"I missed this. I missed you." (G)

"I missed you too." (K)

He wraps his arm around my waist as we walk back into the house, just as Mrs. Weasley tells us it's time to go to bed. I spot her smiling at George's arm around my waist just as Fred smirks some but smiles after. Ginny looks as if her smile may break off her face at any moment.

"Katherine dear, are you staying the night with us? We would love to spend Christmas day with you." (Mrs. W)

"I would love to, but I have to check in with my business with the Order first. Could Moonlight stay here though? I hate leaving her at my house alone." (K)

"Of course dear, and please do drop by tomorrow if you can." (Mrs. W)

I let go of George's hand to give both her and Mr. Weasley a hug before they head upstairs. Waving goodnight to Harry, Ginny, Ron, Fred, and the others. I feel George linger as we prepare to say goodnight. I turn towards him just as he lifts my left hand to his lips and kisses it gently. I feel a slight blush creep over my face as he looks at me but then his face drops some as he looks at my hand.

"Kitty, do you still have that lion ring I gave you our first Christmas?" (G)

"I do, but I don't wear it or the necklace you gave me when working with the Order. The inscription on my ring is kind of a dead give away George." (K)

"Oh yeah. Hey, you've got a tattoo now? Any more in more hidden places I should know about?" (G)

I blush and laugh, shaking my head no as he winks at me and joins me laughing. He pulls me into his chest as our laughter starts to die down and I breathe in his scent one last time for the night. We both sigh at the same time causing us to laugh a bit again, until we let go on each other.

"Merry Christmas Kitty. I really do hope you'll drop in tomorrow." (G)

"I'll try if everything goes well tonight, don't forget to feed Moonlight tomorrow morning though. I don't want to pick up a grumpy cat no matter when I make it back." (K)

"I'll care for her as one of my own. I'll miss you." (G)

"I'll miss you." (K)