Chapter 12 (Mare POV)

Standing in front of the doors, waiting to walk down the aisle, I feel more horrible than I ever have before. Even though I'm helping hundreds of people, all I can think about is that I'm hurting the person who matters most. I take a deep breath in and out before I hear the organ start to play and the doors open before me. Everyone's standing and Maven's at the end of the aisle. He looks genuinely happy. When I see him, my heart breaks a little bit more. I'm going to have to promise to love this man, and I think he might even believe me. I start my walk down the aisle and when I get to the front row, I see Cal. He's standing completely still and tears are streaming down his face. Cal isn't really a crier and when I see him, I feel a tear slide down my cheek. I step up to Maven and look at him. This is it.
As the priest talks, I can barely hear him. I'm not looking at Maven, I'm looking right past him, out the window behind his head. I snap back when I hear "If anyone in this room objects to this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace." I immediately look over to Cal. He has his head in his heads and I can tell that he's still crying. I look back to Maven. Maven has this look on his face like he's won. Cal didn't say anything, I'm his.
"Do you, King Maven of Norta, take Mareena Barrow to be your wife?" Maven speaks quickly, without hesitation.
"I do."
"And do you, Mareena Barrow, take King Maven of Norta to be your husband? Do you accept any and all responsibilities that being his wife and Queen of Norta will bring?" I hesitate. In the corner of my eye, I see Cal look up at me, with a hopeful look in his eyes. But I think of him. He'll be free. He'll no longer have to hide his face when he walks down the street. He'll find someone, I know he will. I take a deep breath.
"I do."

It's surreal. I blink to see if when I open my eyes, I'll wake up to see that it's all a dream. It isn't.

Well this was painful to write. Hope u enjoy though.    - Just Jules