Chapter 14 (Mare POV)

Cal wants some time to himself so I leave him alone and go back to the party. When I get back, Maven comes right up to me.
"Hey where were you? I was looking for you. I have some cousins that want to meet you." I hesitate before responding.
"Sorry, I was just in the bathroom, Where are your cousins?" He brings me over to them. They're three little girls who look up at me like I'm their hero. I give them each a hug before Maven pulls me away to meet a group of his advisors. As they introduce themselves, Maven slides his arm around my waist. Normally, I would push his hand away but because I'm sure people would notice and I don't want to cause trouble, I don't do anything. Then I catch a glimpse of Cal slipping in the door. When he sees Maven's arm around my waist, he almost heads back out again but then he notices me looking at him and I plead with my eyes for him to stay. He gives me a quick nod and then sits down at a table and picks up a glass of wine.
When I finish talking with Maven and his advisors, Maven says he needs to take a call and that it will only take a minute or two. I sit down at the bar alone as the band begins to play another slow song. I watch as couples start to get up and dance. Then I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around to see Cal standing behind me. He extends his hand.
"Mare, may I have this dance?" I place my hand in his.
"I would love that."

Short chapter sorry. I promise the next one is gonna be longer and way better. Thx for reading. - Just Jules