Chapter 5

"On the count of three," I whisper, barely audible.

I hear the front door slam shut accompanied with a woman's voice.

"Honey... I think someone was here!"

I can't help but feel a little bad for them, they're probably scared to death. And now they're about to get stink-bombed.

"One," I whisper. I hold up two fingers, and then three. I close my eyes and wait for Max to drop the bomb. Though I'm not exactly sure what to expect I've never experienced a stink bomb befo-

BOOM!

A huge crack of an explosion rings in my ears, followed by an awful smell.

And.

I.

Mean.

Awful.

"Go!" Max yells, and Angel leads us out of the retched chimney.

My legs are extremely cramped from being shoved in a tiny crawlspace, my head is still pounding from my concussion, my eye is swollen shut, I have a million and a half injuries scattered across my body, and my nose is filled with a retched smell that is literally tattooed in my nostrils.

Every teenage girl's dream right?

"Oh my god," Clove says in between coughs. "I think I just died."

Everyone agrees by wheezing, choking, and any other lovely noises a person can make after experiencing probably the worst smell on the planet.

Everyone continues coughing on the roof, which I think is a good idea to catch our breath before flying. We don't want 10 winged children dropping dead out of the sky. Though that would be an interesting sight.

Once everyone has recovered enough, we set off to take flight.

To where? Who freaking knows.

"Iggy, that was awesome!" Gazzy says, extending his hand for a high-five. Iggy slaps his hand with a huge grin on his face.

Wait a second here.

Isn't this kid blind? And he just high-fived someone in mid air while flying.

I'm beginning to question these people. Which reminds me, why are they still with us? They didn't have to stay after they dropped off Nina... I think they're plotting something. For now, I push those thoughts to the back of my head and worry about where we're going next.

"So where to now, Max?" Nudge asks.

"Not sure," She replies simply. "Any of you idiots have a plan?"

"Well, I was thinking," Nudge says sheepishly. "Remember that cave we stayed in with the hawks? Remember remember remember?"

"Yes Nudge I remember," Max says.

"Well while you were off getting shot by bratty teenagers, Fang and I stayed in the cave for a few days. And it's not too far from here!"

"That's actually a good idea, Nudge," Max says.

Nudge grins the biggest grin a person possibly can.

"Wait, I don't want to be surrounded by hawks," Nina says sheepishly.

"Don't worry, they're totally friendly," Angel smiles.

Nina smiles back at Angel. I swear they share the same brain.

"So, I've been wondering," Clove starts. "What's your guys's secret power?"

Secret power? The only person in our group who has a 'secret power' is Nina with her creepy feeling-sensing shit.