Chapter 39

“Rule number one: You are NOT to talk about anything related to the S.U.N. to anyone but your family or your team. When you do, it has to be at a S.U.N. headquarter or anywhere outside, but out of earshot obviously.” An authoritative voice had stated.

 “Rule number two: To anyone else, and anywhere else, the S.U.N. does not exist so you DO NOT talk about it.”

“Rule number three: NOBODY outside of your team is to know about what’s going on within your team. Your team is YOUR home, YOUR family. If ever you’re made to work with another team, you WILL NOT mention anything that’s not directly related to your mission at hand, nor will you accept to discuss any other S.U.N. member’s personal issue.”

I had frowned at that one. I had broken this rule plenty of times already but so had Kerry and Alicia when they’d told me about the school gossip. Same when Tim told me what had happened with Sarah.

“Rule number four: Your betrothed is your partner for life. You are to remain faithful until death parts you. Any issues regarding your couple need to be sorted out within your team.”

These four rules were apparently the most important rules for me to remember.

There were many others that I would learn about throughout my classes but these four rules topped them all.

They didn't really bother me. I had to ask the boys to explain what headquarters were and why the third rule seemed to be constantly broken but that was about it.

To see my grandfathers' photos in Biarritz had annoyed me, though.

I'd trusted my Papis all my life, seeing them as wise men that I would always respect and cherish.

They always told us funny anecdotes about their youth.

How they'd built a small boat one year, hoping to fish a whale but only managed to sink after five minutes in the ocean… Or again, how they used to sneak into the bakery in the town center to ask for the leftovers and broken biscuits.

I'd always thought I was the luckiest girl on earth that my two sets of grandparents were best friends.

It more than stung to know that they had all been lying to me for all those years. Especially as they had only lied to me since my brothers had seemingly known all along.

And shall I even mention my parents?!

Their photograph had come right after the long introduction about how the S.U.N had come to life.

Yes, I’m not joking!

My parents were currently the two most important people of the whole organization.

They were like the President and the First Lady, or something.

Oh, and let's not forget Nick!

No wonder they left the party without a word when he told them to! Because, guess what?! He's the equivalent of Home Secretary in the S.U.N.

So yeah, that part pissed me right off as you can well imagine.

But still, that was not all that was bothering me. I was confused as hell as to what all this implied for me.

There were some pretty obvious questions regarding my relationship with Tim while others were still too fuzzy to be put into words.

In short, I was a mess.

I'd been turning and tossing in my bed for two hours now as everything kept turning into my mind.

I'd tried to listen to some music, I’d even gone on YouTube to watch some silly videos but nothing seemed to take my mind off all this.