Just Tell Me

Mitch sat in his apartment wishing his best friend would just walk through the door. He hadn't seen Scott in weeks and honestly, he thought his best friend was avoiding him. He missed seeing the blonde walk in from work every night with a story about his day. He missed how they would make dinner together every night. He missed how they'd take care of each other. How he wanted Scott there to take care of him. Yeah, he knows he's capable of taking care of himself, but he just wanted his best friend so badly. He wanted someone who would hold him and care for him even though they originally had other plans. He wanted his best friend back.

Spongebob was playing on the television, but Mitch didn't even notice. He was to busy worrying about his best friend. It was almost the time Scott used to walk through their apartment door with the ingredients for something they've probably never heard of.

For the first time in weeks, Mitch heard Scott slide his keys into the keyhole in the door. He pretended like he had no idea Scott was coming home and started to pay attention to whatever was happening on the television.

"Hey Mitchy" Scott said as he walked into the small apartment.

"Hi Scotty" Mitch replied, his eyes didn't leave the television. Scott set some bags down on the counter before walking over to Mitch who's eyes were still glued to the show playing. He gently rested his hand on the smaller man's shoulder, not wanting to scare him. Mitch turned to face him. His eyes were red and his nose was slightly tinted pink. Scott couldn't tell if he'd been crying, was sick, or both. "Where have you been?" Mitch asked, his brown eyes pleading for an answer Scott didn't have.

"I can't tell you"

"Why not? What did I do Scott? Whatever I did I didn't mean it, just please tell me where you were?"

"I'm sorry Mitch, I just can't" Mitch's eyes brimmed with tears. Scott so badly wanted to tell him, but he was worried Mitch would make a big deal out of it.

"Can you at least tell me what i did to deserve this? It's been weeks Scott. I thought you'd never come back. I don't remember the last time I ate a full meal. Kirstie's been coming to check in on me after she noticed I wasn't eating at work. She's been forcing me to eat. I was so worried that it was affecting my work. They gave me the month off, Scott. If Kirstie didn't tell them what was going on I would've been fired. So don't give me this bullshit. Tell. Me. Where. You. Were."

"Mitch I said I can't why can't you understand that?"

"I was so worried about you that I made myself sick! You weren't answering your phone, you didn't tell me you were leaving and, you didn't even leave a note. One more day and I would've started a search party to find you. Please just tell me where you were"

"I've said that I can't like a million times, what don't you get about that Mitch"

"I thought you were my best friend. I thought we told each other everything. I guess I was wrong." Scott wanted to walk over and hold the small boy in his arms and tell him where he was and comfort him, but he knew he couldn't and it broke his heart.

"I'm sorry"

"If you were really sorry you'd tell me where you were"

"I wish you knew how badly I want to Mitch. If I was allowed to I would"

"Remember when we'd break rules for each other? Yeah, me too. I guess once we grew up all that changed"

Scott was silent. He didn't know how to respond to what Mitch just said.

"I bought food so we could cook" Scott quietly said after a few minutes.

"Have fun making it yourself. I'll be in my room"