Chapter Seventeen: No One Did.

His day started off normally, as normal as any other day he had ever have. But this one is different. Far too different.

A knock on his door was enough to make him realize that something was wrong. Clearly because he hadn't opened the bar yet.

Cautiously, he approached the door with a bat seen on his other hand. He reached for the knob and pulled it open, only to see you standing there. Then all his worries were washed away as he saw the key in your hand. A smile formed his lips, seeing you standing there was enough to complete his day, after all.

"Y/n, I'm glad you came. But what're you—" he paused as you didn't even bother looking him in the eye like you normally do. You kept your gaze on the floor, your shoulder shook every once in a while.

What were you doing here? His gaze left yours for a second and checked the clock. It was still too early for you to even be awake. He turned back to you just in time to see a tear fall from your eyes. His eyes widened at this as he finally realized what's happening. His flames grew bigger, brighter, and much more terrifying than his usual calm ones.

"Who Do I Need To Kill?" He demanded almost instantly, if you weren't heartbroken, you would've admired him right now. But apparently . . . things aren't like that. It's like . . . it'll never be the same. And seeing you like this, brought nothing but pain to Grillby.

He waits for your reply, but you didn't give him any. Instead, you just stood there, silently sobbing to yourself until he finally got the message. He wrapped his arms around you, his flames started to calm and gave you a warm comfort. He brought you inside and closed the door shut.

As you clung onto him for dear life, he lifted you up bridal style and brought you to the couch where he wrapped you tenderly with blankets. He left for a moment, only to come back with a tub full of your favorite ice cream, and movies you haven't even watched.

He sat beside you once he finished hooking up the device, a spoon in his hand as he fed his sweet little burrito that was you. You ate the ice cream as calmly as you can despite the fact that you were still sobbing. It was silly, actually. Considering what you're watching is a comedy.

As he neared another spoonful of ice cream, you rejected and carefully rested your head on his shoulder. He closed the tub of ice cream and brought you closer to him. Giving you his full attention. He wrapped an arm around your waist and under your thigh, he hoisted you up and placed you on his lap where he wrapped both arms around your torso and cuddled with you all the time.

As the movies came to an end, the ice creams finally finished, you were finally calm and drowsy. This urged Grillby to ask what happened. One thing Sans had taught him is to always ask an upset person when they're finally calm and drowsy.

"Want to tell me what happened?" You were silent for a while, before finally nodding your head. "Alright, tell me."

". . . Am I . . . useless?" He tensed at this, his flames growing bigger and fiercer.

"Who told you that?" He demanded with a growl, but you shook your head.

"No one did."

There was a moment of silence where he was stuck processing what you were trying to say. And it broke him as he realized what you're trying to say. You were depressed. Anxious. And it breaks his heart to see you like this.

"Sweetheart, you're not." He told you soothingly, "you are the most reliable, useful, and caring human I've ever met. You're even more useful than most of us monsters." He exclaimed, making you chuckle slightly at the remembrance of a short skeleton.