Chapter Eighteen: Meh.

A sizzling of a grill rocked your dreams. A mouth watering aroma awoke you from them. Peering an eye open, the sensational aroma was finally clear to you. And it was none other than the familiar scent of burger and fries.

Is Toriel finally deciding to let you eat junk foods? Was the first thought you had in mind.

But as you grow even more awake and conscious, you realize that you weren't even in your room. And the sweet aroma of butterscotch and cinnamon pie was replaced by a minty scent.

Muffled chatters came from another room, and it was more than enough to keep you from drowsing. Sitting up from the bed, a picture frame caught your attention almost instantly.

You reached out for the frame on the bedside table and looking closely, it was blurred and vintage looking. Like the rest of this household. As you examined the picture more, you realized that your lover was in it. Only a bit more younger, as well as two young skeletons. A child carrying a toddler.

You continued to gape at the photo until you heard the door creak. "Y/n?" A voice questioned, snapping you out of your trance. You turned your head towards the direction of the voice, where Grillby stands. "What're you doing?"

You returned your gaze to the picture in your hand only to see—

"W-What?" You breathed in disbelief as Grillby sat beside you.

"Sweetie, is there something wrong with your hands?" He questioned, taking a hold of your hands. You shook your head, no.

"N-No. I-I was holding a picture frame a while ago." You stammered as Grillby continued to give you a curious look.

"Of whom?"

"Of yo—" you paused as you felt everything slip away. "O-Of. . . ." you trailed off. What was it again?

"Y/n?"

That's weird. You were certain you saw a picture frame. But who was in it? Was it someone dear to you?

"Y-Yes . . . ?"

"Y/n, sweetheart, are you alright?"

Then why can't you remember?

"W-Why . . . why can't I remember?" You repeated as you stared into nothing. Grillby's hands grasp your shoulders and shook you back to reality.

"Y/n, what's wrong? What's happening?"

"I can't . . . I don't remember. I . . . I was . . . who did I—No, they-they're . . . important!! But I can't . . . can't. . . ." you tried, tried so hard to grasp into the slipping memory, but to no avail. It continued to slip past your fingers, like air that refused to be contained.

Grillby shushed you gently and rocked you in his arms, "Hush, sweetheart, it's alright. It's probably a dream. You're awake now, you didn't forget anything. Okay?" You clutch his sleeves in your hand, certain that you forgot something . . . important.

"How're you feeling?"

You took a moment to reply, but you found the words much suited into your situation. "Meh."

Grillby couldn't help but grin as he kissed your forehead lovingly. "You're so adorkable, I love you." He gushed as he squeezed you into his warm embrace.

"I know, I'm amazing, aren't I?" You giggled.

The creature stood and offered a hand out to you, "I need a hand serving some lazy monsters. Mind lending me some?" You smiled and took the hand.

"Of course."

After giving you your working clothes, you followed Grillby back to the bar and served as many monsters as you can. Seeing the look on their faces brought happiness in your heart. There are some you remembered encountering your first time working at Grillby's.

And it sparked joy in you as they remembered who you are.

The day continued to pass by smoothly, but one thing was bothering you. The shorter skeleton wasn't here yet. Shrugging the thought off, you carried on through the day. Thinking he must've slept through.

But that was until the door was kicked open.

A familiar black boot came in view as well as its purple metallic skin. Your eyes immediately met a pair of dark ones that blazes with absolute determination.

"Y/N." It growled your name menacingly. You froze in your spot as you watched the creature bolt towards you in lightning speed. But something countered the robot just before he could reach out and grab you.

A quick ash of black and white shined until it was finally clear what—or who it was.

"Grillby?!" You gasped, amazed on how fast he got here. He had his tray thrust in front where Mettaton's hand was located. The robot blinked a few times before giving you a look of confusion that slowly turned into realization.

"DARLING, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!"

"Uhm, right here?"

"We're all so worried about you, darling! Even Undyne sent out her Royal Guards to search for you!"

Then it hit you, you haven't told anyone that you left because you were so depressed. "I'm sorry." You whimpered, Mettaton's gaze softened and he let out a long sigh.

"I'm going to send the others a text." You nodded meekly and as Mettaton finished, he faced you again with a more relaxed expression. "Darling, we only have three more days before Toriel's birthday. What do you plan to do? Do you want to have a spectacular surprise? Or a fabulous one?"

Your shook your head, no. "I want it to be sweet and special. Just like her."

Mettaton, seeming to get what you were saying, nodded his head. "Yes, I do get what you're saying. And I'll be completely honest with you, darling." He said with a long drastic pause. "It'll be absolutely amazing."

You exhaled the breath you were holding and gave him a smile. "I'm glad. I put my trust in you, MTT."

"Oh, you better, dear." He chuckled and the door was kicked open after that.

A flash of blue caught your attention, heavy breathing was heard seconds after that. All of the monster inside the  restaurant including you, had all of your gazes on the short skeleton by the door.

"Sans?" Was all Grillby said before the shorter skeleton gave his usual grin and collapsed.