Chapter 6

"No, no, no!" the boy muttered to himself as he felt a surge of the Shard's darkened power. "It's awakened, I'm too late."

His attempt to track the girl, April O'Neil, had proved fruitless. Even the small glimmers of power she had been emanating hadn't been enough to pinpoint a traceable location. He then tried to follow her friend, Casey Jones, to see if he could lead him to her. But, embarrassingly, he managed to lose Jones when he disappeared into an alley.

Feeling defeated and utterly useless, the boy found himself on the roof of the tallest building, straining his senses to their maximum capacity, trying to feel something; another glimmer of the dark Shard's power, a hint of where the real Shard was, hell, even a trace of enemies would be welcome at this point. That at least would give him a clue as to where to go.

After hours of searching, he finally found it. Or rather, the overwhelming surge almost knocked his senses out. He realized how supressed this dark power had been when he felt a barrier break and the darkness was released. And what a darkness it was. But that was to be expected when the Shard was involved.

He couldn't let this go on. He was a Guardian! He had to stop this chaos before people started getting hurt!

Oo-oO

Deep in the sewers, one of the lesser used areas, in an abandoned storage room, behind the false backing in a cupboard that's all but rotted away lay a room where people once gathered in search of freedom. The secret bunker used back in the 1800s by the Underground Railroad now held another treasure; one that is coveted by many throughout the known universe. The Shard.

In a hidden compartment in the secret room, surrounded by an impenetrable safe, the Shard slowly came to its senses. Waking up after a failed attempt to connect with a compatible host was never pleasant, but waking up in a small box with no concept of where it was or even how long it's been there was even more nerve wracking. But the Shard was more annoyed than nervous by the turn of events.

The Shard had actually managed to find a compatible host, only for things to go horrible wrong. Being in a coma sort of state didn't help matters either. But the clincher was waking up in some stupid, cramped, cold metal box that didn't even let residual radiation through. It was like there was nothing beyond this crappy box!

What is this anyway? The Shard asked no one in particular. I've never seen this type of alloy before. And how is it able to block out radiation like that? How's my Guardian supposed to find me if I can't send out a signal for him to follow?

The Shard instinctively reaching to the data banks that would answer these questions.

. . . Error.

The blarg? No, no error. What's this stupid metal made of?

. . . Error.

What the hell? Where's my transmission? Is the box blocking that too?

. . . Error.

I wasn't searching that!

The Shard mentally sighed in defeat as her search options seemed to be malfunctioning. Resigning to the inevitable, the Shard launched into a sort of Trouble Shoot mode, searching for the cause of such an error. What the Shard found was disturbing.

Gone? It can't just be gone! By data base, all the knowledge we've gathered. Just gone? How—

That's when the Shard realized what had happened, and the thought scared the living hell out of her. The data base wasn't missing, it was stolen.

Oo-oO

"Woah!" Donnie exclaimed as his new tracker started screaming. The turtles and Casey were in the Shell Razor, driving around the city to see what signals they could pick up.