Chapter 14

April took in the sight of the Monster standing before her and a pit settled in her stomach. But her fear was overcome by the feelings of rage melting through her connection to the Shard. Kape was ready for a fight. Screw the odds, this Monster was going to feel the wrath of Light, and nothing was going to stop her. April let Kape take full control and sat back to watch the battle. 

Kentoki gazed around the rooftop, briefly examining the two humans before him. The sounds of battle below drew his attention. He took in the sight of his forces being taken down and the two defeated Commanders before starting to laugh.

"You have planned well for this battle," he complimented as he turned his sharp gaze on Jay. "Your army of primitive robots and twisted beasts seem to stand a chance against my hoards of Tagoo soldiers. But that battle is of no consequence. I will simply obtain the Shard and wipe them all out in an instant."

"As if I'd give my power over to you," Kape's voice came from April's mouth.

The Monster then examined her with a smile. "It seems as if your Shard has found a compatible host. What a pleasant surprise. And it's the female we detected, no less. It seems that this will be interesting after all. I do hope you put up more of a fight than the last time we met."

Kentoki grasped the hilt of one of the swords at his hip and drew the blade slowly. The grating of metal on rusted metal screeched over the sound of battle below until the supposed blade came free of its scabbard. But it wasn't a sword, it was a long pole about four feet long made of a metal even dirtier than his armour.

Jay tensed as he recognized the weapon and he powered up his gauntlets, the glass tubes along the back of the hand filling with electricity, and he unhooked the short metal pole from his belt.

"Don't worry," Jay said evenly as he felt the tingle in his hands as he gathered a charge. "I have to intention of running this time."

Kape also fell into a stance, with her tendrils swirling around her body for defence and while others swarmed her hands, ready for offence.

The Monster smirked at their stances as they prepared to fight. "This shall be a battle to be remembered," he grinned as he activated his weapon, "or perhaps not." In an instant, the length of the pole erupted in a blood red, liquid fire; the Blood Saber.

Jay activated his Photon Blade, and crouched in anticipation of the first move.

Kentoki moved first, lunging forward at an impossible speed, but Jay rushed forward to meet him in the center of the roof. Their blades clashed as red fire screamed against yellow electricity. Kentoki was a good two feet taller and out matched the gangly teenager in strength ten times over. Jay was easily knocked back, his Photon Blade swinging upward as he fought to regain his footing and keep hold of his weapon.

Kentoki swung his Blood Saber parallel to the ground towards the boy's unprotected stomach, but Kape's yellow tendrils caught the blade inches before it hit. Jay's palm glowed yellow as his gauntlet charged before shooting a beam of condensed electricity at Kentoki's abdomen. Quicker than the eye could follow, Kentoki drew his other blade half way out of its sheath and another beam of liquid fire absorbed the attack. With a jerk, Kentoki drew the second blade the rest of the way out and swung it downwards, but Jay had regained his footing and slashed it aside with his Photon Blade.

Strings of light darted around Jay and shot towards Kentoki as Kape took the distraction to launch her own attack. It was sudden and unexpected. A few tendrils made it through the Monster's defenses, some bouncing off the dirty armour protecting his chest, some managing to pierce the thick flesh through the chinks in the armour at his shoulder, and one even managed to slice off a tentacle of hair. Kentoki jumped back before twirling his blades to fend off the rest of the strings, giving Jay some breathing room to regain his stance and prepare for the next move.