Chapter 12

It took longer than anticipated to get the Shell Razor into the nearest underground entrance and it would take days of work before it was back in top shape. Needless to say, Donnie was a little put out, but any disappointment was thrown from the window when Jay jumped into the Commander's mech, after throwing the unconscious Commander out, and said that it might be useful in the upcoming battle. But Donnie didn't really care about that, because Donnie got a new toy robot to play with.

The excitement, however, died when they led Jay past the turnstiles and into the lair, where they were greeted by Master Splinter, his hands folded behind his back and a stern look, which only grew in intensity when he spotted the new comer. But if Jay was taken off guard by the appearance of a giant rat, he certainly didn't show it, nor did he comment.

"My sons," Splinter addressed them with that disappointed look, "it seems that, once again, you have seen fit to bring a stranger to our secret, hidden lair."

"Chill out Master Splinter," Mikey said smoothly, "he's cool. He's, like, the Guardian of the Shard and stuff."

Splinter arched and eyebrow before addressing the group as a whole. "It seems that a lot has happened in one night."

"You don't know the half of it," Raph muttered.

"Come," Splinter beckoned them towards the pit of couches, "let us sit. Then you can tell me what sort of trouble you've gotten yourselves into this time."

Jay smiled at the insinuation and followed.

Oo-oO

"And then April got gold hair and she flicked her hand and everything went black, and when we woke up, the giant robo mech was down and April was back to normal!" Mikey finished the tale with exaggerated hand motions and great sound effects.

"You have indeed had a great adventure this night," Splinter mused, shaking his head. Only these boys could get into so much trouble in so little time. They had shared their entire story; from searching the city for more Shock Rocks, to finding April who wasn't really April, to coming across Jay with April who was April, to their journey into the Mental Plane, to their ambush by the Tagoos and taking out the Commander and the mysterious voice that promised a great battle the following night.

"And it seems like I have you to thank for helping my sons," Splinter bowed his head to Jay.

"I wouldn't say that exactly," Jay replied, looking down at the Shard in his lap. "It's only because us that this is happening in the first place."

"It also seems like there is more to this story."

"Yes, quite a bit actually."

"Perhaps it would be best if you shared your story, to help us better understand the enemy we will be facing."

"What do you want to know?" Jay asked.

"Who are you?" "Who's this enemy that's coming?" "What's your favorite kind of cat?" "Where the heck is this Shard thing come from, anyway?"

"Perhaps," Master Splinter interrupted the rain of questions, "you should start at the beginning?"

"The beginning, huh?" Jay mused with a sigh. "Alright then, I guess that would be the legends."

"Story time!" Mikey whispered, tapping his feet in excitement.

"A long time ago," Jay began and the room fell silent, "there was nothing. The earth was empty and had no form. Then God said, 'Let there be Light,' and there was light. God saw that the light was good, so he divided the Light from Darkness."

"That's . . ." Leo ventured.

"Genesis. The creation of everything in the words of the Bible," Jay nodded. "That's how it all started. In the beginning of, pretty much everything, there were two entities; Light and Dark. Although they had their differences, Light and Dark respected each other and maintained balance across the universe as brother and sister.