chapter 12: mare/maven

its been a few weeks since I woke up I can hardly lift my head of the pillow. that spike really took the life out of me. The sun is starting to poke through the mountains and the sky is a bright vibrant red, I can't help but think of Cal and my family. They all think I'm dead. I watch out the window as the sun gets higher and a dark outline of a tall large man on my balcony. As the body descends closer I see his face it's a very familiar face. "Cal?"

"Mare Barrow I'm here to take you back," he says sternly almost like a robot. I can't help but wonder what they did to him to keep him alive. they've definitely done something, but that doesn't matter he's alive and here next to me. the joy of seeing him alive and walking overtakes me, I try and stand to hug him but I collapse onto the floor. I hate being like this. cal lifts me up into his arms puts a note on the bed and walks outside. I can barely feel his warmth "cal what did they do to you?" he doesn't answer he looks straight ahead and injects something into my neck its cold. my eyes close "cal why are you doing thi..." I never finish.

Mavens POV  

 4:00 am: now is the time I visit mare. at 3:30 am every morning she has a nightmare and I go in to calm her down I hate to see her like that. I'm 30 minutes late this morning and I hope she is ok. I finally reach her door and open it, and the bed is empty. my fire rages through me and I set the room alight. I see a note on the bed and quickly grab it before the room was engulfed in flames. I read it.

Dear  King Maven,

I hope you don't mind us borrowing your little prized possession we have some deals that still need to be fulfilled. don't worry you will see her again when we are finished with her she will no longer be needed in this rebellion. let's just say she won't be the same as the girl you were betrothed to a long time ago. Don't bother coming after us. if you do you won't see your lightning girl again. well let's just say your girl from now on

yours sincerely 

the Colonel

I don't know what to do I want to see her again but I need her to be safe here with me. she is so vulnerable right now she needs to be kept in her room where she is safe and looked after. I must make an announcement. "Guards get the stage ready for an announcement, now!" I command. I have an idea