eight

Irene stared at the prince in disbelief. Noctis was also staring at her, hoping that she would soon speak, but she did not. She could not believe what she heard, was she imagining things?

 "Irene." He called, waking her from her thoughts. "Did... Did you hear me?" He awkwardly asked and she licked her lips.

"How can you love me?" She suddenly asked in a low tone. "I... I can give you nothing. I'm locked away, I can't give you anything in return..." She shrugged as she expressed her thoughts.

 Noctis scooted closer to her, squeezing her hands. "What?" He softly chuckled. "Are you really such a fool?" He tapped her forehead. She eyed him with furrowed eyebrows, how could he be laughing at her?

"Why are you laughing?" She demanded an answer, furrowing her eyebrows even further.

 "Because you're such an oblivious girl. When you love somebody you don't expect anything in return. You do hope that the other person loves you back but... You keep loving then even if they don't." The prince explained in his sweet voice. Irene simply stared at him shocked from the words that came from his mouth. "You make me happy, and that is more than enough to make me love you truly." Yet his happy expression faded, revealing a sad frown. 

"But I suppose none of that matters now... Does it..." He muttered under his breath.

Irene's lips were parted, her heart beats were faster. She was not speaking but millions of words were in her poor head. She then laced her fingers with the prince's, hitting her inner cheek.

 "Don't leave me." She breathed, hearing a faint gasp from the ravenette.  "I-I... I can't do this without you." She tried to hold her whimpers but in vain. Noctis snaked his arms around her small frame, pulling her close to him. He caressed her back soothingly, whispering words of comfort in her ear. 

"I love you, Noctis." She managed to gasp between her whimpers. Noctis felt his heart hurt more than it ever had, not ever wanting to break apart from the woman.

Noctis placed a chaste kiss on her jawline, another following, and another. She seemed to relax by his soft lips against her flesh, so he continued.  His lips trailed along her neck and under her chin in a random pattern, before they finally clashed with her own ones in a sweet kiss. Irene was new to that territory, but of course so was Noctis. But that didn't stop the two from enjoying each other's warmth. The prince pulled the girl on his lap, holding her in place by placing his hands on her hips. She caressed his shoulders and chest as their lips danced in sync. 

A few moments later, the two broke apart in need of air in their lungs. But their eyes never left each other's, saying everything that their lips couldn't. Noctis pressed his forehead against the girl's, tracing random patterns with the tips of his fingers on her hips.

"Don't leave me, Noctis. I need you." The girl practically begged as her eyes got teary at the thought of living without him in her life.

 "I have been waiting to hear this for so long from you." The boy admitted, running one of his hands through her brown locks.

"Then don't! Don't leave!" The princess pleaded, holding his shirt tightly. Noctis placed a kiss on her nose, inhaling her scent of roses he so dearly adored.

"Come with me." The prince breathed, hearing her gasp.

"What?" She questioned in shock and he repeated;

"Run away with me. I'll take you far from here and we can be together, always." He expressed his thoughts. The girl thought for a while and opened her lips to reply, when her door burst open only to reveal the king with a furious look in his eyes.

 "My king, wait!" Lightning called, appearing right after the king had. She gasped in shock when she saw the scene, knowing that they were all doomed after that.

Irene jumped off of the prince, quickly fixing her dress as she stood away from him.

"Father..." She stuttered, fear written all over her features. Noctis also stood up and took a step closer to the girl, afraid that the king would try to hurt her.

"You insolent child!" The king yelled as he headed towards the young princess.