Chapter 6

The girls were early though they arrived just before noon. Not being around people their age or younger, Avis was shifting her weight from side to side and Scout was picking at her nails, sitting near their bunks. An hour or so passed and all the volunteers were called to the center of the camp. 

(the initiation thing):  There was no real reason to how the volunteers were lined up. Avis and Scout were both put in the first row. Avis was the first person in the row. Where she looked into the yellow eyes of the former commander of the survey corps, Keith Shadis. She could see anger, hatred but yet concern and fear in his eyes. The former commander only saw determination, concern, and optimism in Avis's eyes.

I hate the ones that come in here only thinking the best. I have to break them so that they are ready to face the ones that try to kill us, the death of their friends and comrades. Keith thought while  in demanding strong voice said, "What is your name?"

"Avis Hertz, Sir"

"Where are you from?"

Avis's eyes dilated and shifted back and forth but quickly stopped. Avis's heart started beating faster. 

"Berlau village, Sir."

"Why are you here?"

"To Protect Humanity!"

Keith was satisfied with the fear now in Avis moved on down the line. He walked past a few people but then stopped in front of a blonde girl who was shorter than Levi. The girl's eyes showed that she was intimidated but optimistic.

"Who are you?"

"Melissa, from Karanes"

"Why are you here?"

"I want to be strong enough to be able to help humanity survive."

"If you aren't strong enough now what makes you think that you will be able to later?"

"I am confident that with you as my instructor, I will be able to strong enough."

Keith rolls his eyes and moves down the rows. After a while, they were all dismissed.