Introduction/Prologue

Avis Hertz lived in what is known as the titan forest since her birth. Her father, Emil, was the first one to survive outside the walls. He built his house 50 meters up one of the trees close to the edge of the forest. As time passed, more and more people joined him, because they either distrusted their government or were thrown out. Avis's father met her mother, Fleur, a short while after the construction of his own home; she was thrown outside the wall by the military police for misconduct. A few years later, they gave birth to little Avis.

Soon thereafter, many of the couples that called the tree tops their home also had their own children. Avis was the oldest child there, and so sheand therefore often had no one to play with, until she turned 5five years old. Even after she had other people with which to play, she often found herself gazing out the window at wWall mMaria, hoping that one day she could venture out and see what was behind the massive grey sheet. Her parents didn't approve. Instead, they pushed her to playmake friends outside the house with the other children., Though, though she was repeatedly warned to be careful not to fall or venture too close to the edges.

This is when Avis found her best friend, Scout, a girl that lived on the tree next to hers who was just a year younger than her. Scout loved reading but often distrusted people, because she simply didn't understand peoplethem. Avis often enthusiastically shared her thoughts about the gray sheetbarrier outside the forest.

At the age of 10, her parents decided that Avis was going to succeed her father, and lead the town. They started teaching her about leadership and problem solving, andgave her knowledge abouton the people behind what they called the wWall. As she started adolescence, Avis expressed how all of the townsfolk should go to the wWall, which caused the peoplecitizens to distrust her and oppose the decision of Avis succeeding Emil. He told the town that it was just a silly phase, and that Avis didn't know what she was really saying. Scout didn't believe Emil but agreed with Avis that they needed to explore the land behind the walls beyond the fortified bubble of civilization. As the years pasted, Avis and Scout lost hope until one day, two strangers landed in their town.