Part 2 - All For Her

I wanted to chase after her. My train of thought couldn’t be altered. She had to come back—I would tell her everything to make her stay. But I couldn’t do that. She and I would have to keep our distance for a while, but I would find her someday.

  Now I had a new worry on hand. I shuffled my feet through the hot sand, only a slight sensation to be felt through my black boots. My hands dangled at my sides, only swaying to keep the rest of my tired body in balance. Heartache was echoing throughout every corner of my body, and mind implosions couldn’t be stopped.

  Moments turned to seconds, and seconds turned to minutes before I reached the Cabertown camp. The first step in, my eyes flicked down to an item thrown top down in the terrain. I bent down to it and wrestled it from the earth—it was Zoey’s Sonic Screwdriver.

  “I searched ‘Doctor’ on Mushapedia, and it said that doctors use one of these. It goes like,” The cheerful tone of my apprentice’s voice changed to make a ‘wheew wheew wheew’ sound, which did nothing but make me smile. She held the screwdriver up and swung it in circles. “And they travel around in a blue box through space and time. Something about ‘spacey-wacey timey-wimey’” Zoey created air quotes.

  My friend looked over to the dinosaur, who was eyeing up the instrument in her hand. She continued to smile, and I smiled back. There was no one in the world who made me happier than this girl, even if she was ridiculous sometimes. You couldn’t disagree with a face like that, although I had managed to do it many times. It was that moment that I realized it—Zoey was the most important thing in this world to me. She went ahead on alchemy, she rose above my unresolved problems with Duncan—she came before everything.

  “I have to.” I whispered, talking to Zoey through the screwdriver. My lip curled upward as I glanced at the scientific mechanism through glazed over lenses. To my disbelief, I had loved that girl. She was a lover and science and magic—somehow I had still loved her, likewise. How had I done that? If I had met her today, I would have hated her to no end.

  I knew exactly how I’d done it. Zoey was different—she had godly bond with me, she was different. She was perfect.

  It hadn’t taken long for me to know just what I wanted to do. I wouldn’t hesitate to find Duncan and set all of this straight. My fingers pinched the corner of a piece of parchment, and my other hand wrapped around my pen.

  And I begin to write:

  I, Rythian the Endermage, vow to keep peace between myself and Duncan the Scientist.

  I began to write the terms of the agreement, which were plentiful. Under the terms that only Duncan, Zoey, and I would ever see, I wrote:

  Neither I nor Duncan will make any dangerous acts upon the other.

  Many more rules were written before I threw the pen onto the desk and rolled the paper into a tube shape. After I snuck it into my bag, I jogged out of the entranceway and into the open desert.

  “Whoa!” I came to an abrupt stop as the dinosaur slithered across my path. “Tee’? What the hell?”

  He started to wave his hands frantically, pointing to the West—the direction in which Zoey had left.

  “Yes, Teep. Zoey is gone.” My tone of annoyance obviously didn’t go over well with my friend.

  The animal’s feet carried him in my apprentice’s direction, and didn’t stop running until he was far out of my sight. I wasn’t sure he would stop.

  I kicked up a puff of beige, desert earth. My annoyance grew, wishing Teep could speak English. This trek was going to take a long time, giving me many days of thinking time.

  “The brown mushrooms are upset that a red mushroom has risen to power.” My friend translated the silent cries of the fungus before her. A single, red, white spotted mushroom sat on an iron pedestal, where the red-haired girl had set it. Her cheek marks lit up in the sun, and I could only think to stand there and shake my head.

  “How do you understand them?” I asked after a few minutes of her randomly putting her ear down to listen to an individual mushroom, one at a time.

  “It’s just a matter of having the gift. So far, I am the only one that can, to my knowledge. Barry says, I’m the perfect human to represent us.” She smiled, bragging over her authority.

  “How do you know that’s Barry?” I pointed at the flowering fungus on the throne.

  “Barry has…” She began counting quietly and quickly. “Twenty-one spots.”

  I gave her a confused gaze.

  “George has…” She turned to one of the other mushrooms and counted again. “Twenty spots.”

  I curled one end of my lip up into a smirk—hidden behind my mask.

  Crest another hill. Back into a valley. Jumping across more rocks to cross the river without getting my feet wet. Halfway to the home of the enemy.

  Below my sight, autumn leaves rustled past my shoed feet. I twirled the Sonic Screwdriver through my fingers, not even looking down at it.

  “I still haven’t found where Duncan lives. He’s the one I really want to talk to.” My seriousness for the situation was growing.

  And then it was interrupted. “How does Greenman know how to paddle a boat?” Zoey was quick to change the subject on me.

  We both enjoyed a quick laugh before I replied. “He’s a very advanced dinosaur.”

  I now knew where the scientist lived, and I could see his lair on the horizon. It was almost time for another talk with him. I was doing this for her.

  All for her.