Part 7 - Cloaked and Dangerous

“No,” I whimpered, already fallen to the side of the bed. My hands grasped the sheets weakly, and tears just seemed to never stop. Shaking from head to toe in anguish, I could feel the mage walk across the floor. His footsteps shook the floor below me.

  He didn’t say a word and didn’t make any sort of gestures. I didn’t look up, didn’t wonder about him, and didn’t care anything about him or anything else that wasn’t Kim. Bothering to wipe tears from my eyes wasn’t an option: I was too broken to care.

  Questions packed my head: how’s and why’s. How could I have let her leave? Why had I not seen this coming? How was I going to cope with all of this? Why had Rythian not said anything or warned me of my ignorance? But it wasn’t Rythian’s fault. No one but myself was to be blamed.

  “Let’s go,” Rythian said just before touching my shoulder. I jumped at his warm hand, but still didn’t bother looking up. He couldn’t make me go anywhere. There was a promise between Kim and I tucked deep inside my heart: I will never leave you. But there was another for when we broke apart: I will always find you.

________________________________________

  But he made me leave. I now sat on the wall of his Cabertown Base: the one I had caused him to move to after the accident. Rythian was smart, but I wasn’t ready to admit defeat. He had used his Void Ring to send our trio to the village. “There are good doctors here,” Rythian said many times to reassure me that my friend would be alright. I started taking that as his promise to me.

  He must have been buttering up to me to make me sign that paper. That terrible man wouldn’t make me do it, no matter if he saved Kim’s life or not. For only a second, I thought that I trusted the mage: but it couldn’t be that way. Not after everything that he had done to me—not after everything that I had done to him.

  Time-lapse seemed to slow down as I scared myself with the thoughts of that day, and of another day a long time ago.

  “Kim?” I asked, rushing to her side as tears fell down her face silently. She looked like she had been haunted. As I pushed her hair behind her ear, she met my gaze. Her words got lost in her emotions, so I didn’t hear them clearly. “What was that?”

  She rose her voice only enough. “I’m engaged.” Kim rose her arm and pointed the ring at me.

  “You seem unhappy,” I analyzed. The girl dropped her head.

  I closed my eyes and let another tear fall. She turned twenty-one that day. We had been at the college campus only mere hours before I saw the horror in her eyes. The only thing I could think of for that second by her side was of her relationship.

  “Yes,” she said, another tear falling directly to the ground.

  “Why?” I inquired. “You love Dean, don’t you?”

  The black hair surrounded her head again, and I couldn’t help but want her to look at me. I didn’t understand. Kim had told me for years that she and Dean had been so close and she told me everything. We had made friends over the years, but never really made a serious relationship. When she told me about the engagement, I was shocked.

  “Of course I do,” she explained. “But… I don’t think I… I’m not ready…”

  “Why didn’t you tell him that?” I smirked, wrapping my arms around her to comfort her. As we embraced, I could sense she was holding up her left hand and looking at her mistake.

  “I don’t know,” she whispered, her voice choked.

  I bit my lip. How many years had I been around Kim? And then it occurred to me. Where had Dean gone? I could recall helping my friend plan her wedding, but I didn’t remember being at the ceremony. The only memory I could still hold onto was the rebuilding. Kim had asked me to help her through all of this, and I never turned away from my friend.

  “Dean,” Kim’s voice shattered my feelings from deep inside. I ran to her side, holding her back from the man dying on the floor across the room from us. “Duncan, let me go!”

  “Kim,” I cried over the sounds of her screams. “He might as well just kill you too if you go over there.”

  “I don’t care! Dean is dying, I have to help him!”

  I slowly wrapped my strong arms around her waist and pulled her with me to the wall. “You need to let him go, Kimberly!”

  She stopped struggling in my arms, resorting to a painful shaking. “What kind of monster would hurt my baby?”

  That was right. Dean was murdered on their wedding’s eve. It really was a shame. And to this day, Kim still didn’t know who murdered her to-be-husband, Dean.

  “Get back here, murderer,” Kim’s new anger bubbling inside struggled against my arms again. Just as she spoke, the room went dark and we could hear all kinds of chaos around us. Seconds later, the dim lighting resumed, and a tall figure stood above us.

  “He deserved this,” the creature’s deep voice said, the violet lights of his eyes were the only things to be seen outside his long cloak and hood. The shadows covered his mouth, but I could see his bright white teeth through it.

  “How could you? He had a wedding tomorrow,” I defended, releasing Kim from my arms and standing up to face the figure. He was a good three feet taller than me.

  “That secret dies with him.”

  That voice: I knew it from somewhere. Where did I know it from?

    The figure bent down close to my face, revealing a long, revolting gash in the light. It went from his ear to the edge of his lip. I nearly turned when I saw it, but I had to be strong.

  “Secret? Or nothing at all?”

  “We are done talking about this, do you understand?” The cloaked man turned away from me, the hem of his cape brushing against my jeans.

  “No, that doesn’t make sense to me,” I interrupted his dramatic walk and he turned back to me.

  “Sorry, what was that?”

  “Why can’t you tell the love of that man’s life why you had to slaughter him right before her eyes?” I smiled, realizing I now had the upper hand.

  Kim came and put her hand on my shoulder, gently pulling my back. “Duncan, you don’t need to do this,” she warned.

  “This is what friends are for,” I explained, not laying an eye off of the crook.

  She backed away timidly as the man came close to me again.

  I finally recalled the sound of the voice; Rythian.

Author's Note

Hello, again! I hope you liked this chapter as much as I did writing it! My apologies go out to those of you who had complecations after the last chapter and then had to wait such a long time after that for me to fix my computer! Thanks guys for not freaking out too much on me!

For those of you who love books and the Yogscast, try the following books:

~Bound to Science by @GingerW0lf

~A Scarecrow's Revenge by @ukulelegirl6

~Alliance by @GingerW0lf and @ukulelegirl6

Also, the song  I listened to the whole time I was writing this is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgkxjfYHsE . I couldn't get to upload directly to Wattpad, so yeah. It is a great song that made me feel so sad inside. I hope you will take the time to take a listen.