Part 9 - Wish to be Missed

“Rythian,” I cried, forcing the mage to want to look back at me.

  “What?” he screamed back.

  I strode close to him and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt tightly. “How dare you?”

  “How dare I what?”

  “Kill Dean,” I yelled.

  “Oh, kill an undeserving man? Like you have never done anything related to that!”

  Although I knew that I had hurt my share of people, I defended myself with confidence: “I don’t think I have!”

  He gave me a quick glare of rage. “Oh? Well, I have a crater that begs to differ!”

  I sighed loudly. “You’re still on that? Get over it!”

  The brunette did not take my behavior highly. “You know what, scientist? You want a fight? I’ll give you whatever fight you want!”

  My lip curled up at his anger, because I still had the upper hand. I was clearly several inches taller than he was, and probably had a few more pounds to use to my advantage. “Oh, is that so?” Our faces almost touched as I leaned closer to him, my teeth clenched. “You’re already so angry with me… What if I say her name again?” I leaned to his left ear and whispered, “Zoey.”

  His anger, formally boiling inside him, was ready to be set free. A strong release of energy was let out as he pulled away from me and unsheathed the sword from his belt. As he pointed its tip at me, my grin was slowly flattened into a blank stare. I took a ruby blade from under my lab coat.

  “That doesn’t scare me,” the mage said. His hand was shaking, therefore I though against his statement.

  “It doesn’t?” I asked.

  He took a step forward with his left foot, then proceeded to pace towards me. When he laid the dark matter blade upon my throat, I returned it in ruby.

  “If you move, I will damage you,” he warned.

  “Then we both die. Is that what you want: to die before that apprentice of yours sees your filthy face again?”

  Upon my statement, Rythian quickly moved his sword back from my throat and repositioned his blade to hit my chest.

  A lot of foul language was exerted from my mouth from the pain I had received. I collapsed and groaned for the next while.

  “Learn from your mistakes,” the man’s instructions meant nothing to me as he spoke feet above my ears.

  “Maybe you should do it—for yourself…” The pain it took to speak was all worth it. I paid the rest of my energy to knock Rythian off his feet to meet my level and pay him the same pain he gave me. Not surprisingly, he cried out a long moan.

  I had managed to nail him in the abdomen, just as hard as he had into my chest. Coughing, he managed to tell me something: “You will—never win…” He made a small sob and continued. “Even if—I die… Zoey won-won’t fall to… someone li-like you…”

  My vision blurred. The edges of that same visual became black and fuzzy. If I didn’t die here, I would certainly not wake up here. The only noticeable thing out of the only window I could see from was Rythian’s dying hand gripping his sword. He rose it from the earth again and I could see him getting ready to use it once more. Rythian had a job to do: make sure I was taken care of at any cost.

  For a moment, I was sure I was as good as dead. I could feel the mage’s sword ready to fall onto me, but it never did. My coward of a mind made me cringe and wait for another world of pain. When he didn’t strike, I moved my hand out of my face and tried to find the brunette through my clogged vision.