Chapter Six

Maria lay on top of David, running her fingers across his lips and stroking his beard, quietly talking as she slowly churned her hips. "I loved the expression on Ursula's face when Tante said a quarter million. I wish you could have been there for it."

"I had to choke a laugh at the meek voice that Laurenz used when he asked if she'd still take two thirty-two."

The clock began cuckooing, and David kept count with alternating throbs and gentle thrusts. "Twelve? Was that twelve?" he asked.

"That's what I counted."

"We should get some sleep. One final pop, but again we'll need to remember to be quiet. We don't want to wake anyone."

They were quiet in the morning also, and they surprised Bethia and Rachel when they walked into the kitchen shortly before nine.

Bethia looked up from her coffee and said, "We didn't hear you this morning; we thought you were still sleeping."

"We've been muffling ourselves, not to disturb you," Maria said.

"Oh, don't be so silly. Don't hold it in," Bethia said. "Let out your whoops and your moans. It's so much more enjoyable to give voice to your passions. We certainly enjoy hearing you and being taken back to wonderful memories, to wonderful feelings."

David kissed Bethia and Rachel good morning and then asked what he could do for breakfast.

"The best thing you can do," Bethia said, "is to sit here at the table. Maria and I will get everything ready."

A quarter hour later, as they began enjoying the breakfast spread, Bethia asked, "So, Sweetheart. I guess it's Sweetheart number three. What does our mastermind see for today?"

"You flatter me, Tante. My mind is completely empty."

"That's an excellent sign," Maria said. "You've told me often that's where creativity begins. It starts with an empty mind. With a blank canvas."

"This is the Klettgauschinken, isn't it?" he asked, picking up a slice, examining it and then taking a bite.

"Yes, my pride, my consistent medal winner."

"You still own the old truck — guess I should call it a lorry, with your British heritage. You'll continue to own it after the deal closes next week. How many pork tenderloins can you get in the next week before the sale completes?"

"I can get hundreds, but that would compromise the Army's sides, and I cannot do that. Aside from the Army carcases, I could probably get three, maybe four dozen."

"Will Laurenz be able to supply you that many each week after he takes over?"

"If I offer him a fair price, yes."

"Could he easily increase the quantity?"

"Yes, with timely notice."

Maria's smile expanded dramatically with each exchange. Bethia watched, mesmerised as the smile grew.

"That's brilliant, David," Maria said. "Such a splendid idea. I have my driving papers. Got them for Dada's motorised grape waggon, and Mama has hers too. I love your way of thinking. Brilliant idea."

"I'm lost here," Rachel said. "What have I missed?"

"I'm right beside you." Bethia shook her head. "I'm completely befuddled. The young ones need to explain. David? Maria? Help us out."

David looked at Maria and nodded. She began slowly, then picked up the pace as she talked, "Tante, your Klettgauschinken is sublime. You've told us it never fails to win medals. You should increase production and begin selling it again up and down the valley. Establish some new markets in the Schwarzwald, other new ones across the border in Swiss Schauffhausen. We have the lorry; we can steam it out at the slaughterhouse and repaint it. Mama can design a logo and panel signs... What have I missed, David?"