Chapter Thirty-Five

On Sunday, Rachel and Maria made two trips to Erzingen to load the remainder of the bottled wine and bring it across while Bethia packed her belongings into wooden bins. Bethia remained overnight to be there when the removal lorry arrived early Monday to begin loading. A freight lorry arrived at eight forty to load the twelve barrels of wine, the four empty barrels, the grape press, pumps, hoses, corking machine and other equipment from the cellar. Just past noon, the two heavily laden lorries rumbled into the courtyard at Sonnenhang.

Rachel and Greta quickly laid a buffet on the table under the oak trees, and they invited the crews from the lorries to join them for lunch before they began unloading.

Bethia sighed as she sat at the table. "That's my final trip across to Germany until the Kaiser stops this foolishness. I've instructed Herr Goldstein to sell my house."

Rachel looked at her and nodded. "I've engaged an estate agent to sell Gottenheim. He said it will be difficult with the increasing concern for the future. What of your vineyard on the other side?"

"I was thinking of letting it go wild until the craziness ends."

"Could you lease its use to someone over there?" David asked. "Or maybe... This might sound crazy, but you might talk with the head of the German border post about working it from your plot on this side. If he has any concern for wine or agriculture, he'll understand."

Bethia nodded. "No harm in trying." She smiled. "I'll let Maria and Rachel do this. Their beauty might help sway him."

After their lunch break, the crews went to work. The last of the barrels was trundled to the cellar shortly past two, and it was nearly three thirty by the time the removal van had been emptied into the house, and the furniture and bins were distributed to their respective rooms.

As they watched the lorry leave, Bethia said, "We can continue the unpacking and arranging tomorrow. I've my bedroom comfortable now. Let's sit, have some wine and give thanks we've all escaped from the horror that Germany has become."

Greta nodded and let out a deep breath. "And I've escaped from the horror that Franz had become."

"All those things are behind us now. Let's concentrate on here and on what we now have." Bethia smiled at David. "A wise man has reminded me so often the last weeks that there's no other reality. Let's fully enjoy. We've family, we've wine, we've this warm sunny afternoon, and we've so much to be thankful for."

They relaxed around the table with their glasses of wine and reviewed the progress of the work. "The pruning should be done by Friday," Rachel said, "and we're a long way along with the new growth training up in the middle terraces."

"Those always gave the best grapes," Greta said. "That's why I kept pruning them after Franz gave up."

Bethia smiled at her, then put her hand on Maria's. "I look forward to seeing what magic you and I can make from them. But we've much to do first. New fermenting vats, new barrels, a new press, so much..."

"You've a long time remaining to do those things before harvest. I wish I were here to help you with them." David dropped his shoulders and sighed.

"We all dearly wish that." Bethia put her hand on his arm. "When are you leaving? I've sensed it's getting near."

"We've been discussing Thursday. The new kitchen will be completed by then and..." He paused. "Little left for me to do."

Maria looked into Bethia's eyes. "Tante, we've been thinking it would be easiest if we took the lorry. Go to Küsnacht and visit with Grandma and Grandpa. Maybe Mama can come with us and stay there while David and I go to Bern. Pick her up on my way back."

"A splendid idea, Sweetheart. Take your time. I've no need of the lorry for a while. You should mail them a letter this afternoon."

Rachel was beaming. "I haven't seen Mum and Dad for such a long time. I'd love to come with you."

On Wednesday morning, David and Maria drove into town to do errands. They visited the bank, and he withdrew five hundred Francs, taking it in Ten and Twenty Franc gold coins. "I need a safe way to carry these," he said as they headed toward the lorry. "Possibly a pocketed belt."

"I could sew you one, now we've Mama's machine again. We could do canvas, but the machine's heavy enough to do leather if you want." She tugged his arm. "Let's ask in here if there's a leather shop in town." She giggled. "While we're asking, you can buy a piece of chocolate to share."

A while later, farther along the street in the leather shop, she was shown some spring buttons when she explained to the woman what she wanted to make. "Very clever. They snap closed. And here, an assortment of buckles."

Maria nodded, as she looked at David. "I could do a series of small pockets each side of the buckle, all with their own flaps and these snaps."

David examined the operation of the closures and pursed his lips. "Best to do twelve pockets, six on each side. Two or three pieces per pocket so the belt will lay flat. I like the suppleness of this piece of leather."

"This is goatskin. It's tough but soft."

With their purchases in a bundle, they returned to the lorry and drove to the market, where they bought staples for the kitchen and selected a week's worth of vegetables, fruit and cheese. After filling the gasoline tank, and buying a road map, they drove back toward Sonnenhang, quiet in their thoughts.

Maria finally broke the silence. "I'm dreading this. Counting down the days till you're gone."

"Don't count the days. Live them. Don't focus on my leaving. Concentrate on my being here. Enjoy the time we have while we have it. There will be plenty of time later for other thoughts. For other feelings." He placed his hand on her thigh and gently squeezed, then he pulled the lorry to a stop at the side of the road, set the brake and took her into his arms. "We'll make it through this."