Chapter Twenty-Eight

On Thursday morning, Jacob took David into the vineyards to explain the basics of viticulture, particularly the necessity of careful pruning. "You saw the tangle of growth on most of Greta's vines. With so many fruiting branches, they'll produce a huge crop, but of very low quality. All the nutrients for the grapes must come up from the roots through the stem and cordons to the fruiting —"

"Cordons?"

"These two thick, horizontal branches. This training arrangement is known as the Double Guyot, originating in the Burgundy region of France." They carried on for over an hour discussing vines, soil composition, orientation, drainage and the other aspects that influence the quality of the grapes.

Jacob then took David through the winery, showing him the fermentation vats the press and the ageing cellar, explaining the complexities of winemaking as they went. With a more complete understanding of the processes, David returned to his pages of calculations and read them through again, circling and underlining parts and scribbling new notes.

He rapidly filled a new sheet of paper with calculations, then sat back looking at it. A second page quickly followed, and a third, then he clicked the cap onto his pen, laid it on the table and stood to read the three side-by-side sheets. He nodded as he gathered all the papers into a folder, the three new sheets on top, and went to find Jacob.

"Here's what I've calculated." He pulled out the first sheet. "From the recent sales, Sonnenhang would be worth a hundred and forty-four thousand were vineyards of average orientation and soil quality, and everything was in good condition. Does that seem a reasonable value?"

Jacob nodded. "Yes, but the vineyards stand in great soil, and many of them have superior south and south-west exposure."

"I've that calculated here." He pulled the second sheet from the folder. "From our discussions yesterday and this morning, I've done this page. The quality of the land adds twenty-five thousand, and I've added another ten thousand for the potential of the stream. That takes the value to a hundred and seventy-nine."

"But the condition of the vineyards, of the buildings?"

"Here, the third page. The cost of labour and material to bring the estate back to good working condition runs to thirty-one thousand. That gives it a value of a hundred and forty-eight thousand."

Jacob nodded. "So the offer they had last year of one forty was a fair opening gambit it seems."

"I thought that when this figure emerged." He looked at his watch. "Five past twelve. I hope the transfer has proceeded with no hitches. If so, they should be here within the half hour." He shook his head. "My God, I miss her. I'm going to climb the ridge to watch for the lorry."

"You really are smitten, aren't you? I remember those days." He grabbed David's shoulder and shook it.

A dozen minutes later, David saw a column of dust moving across the middle distance, appearing and disappearing with the bends and dips of the road. His mind wandered as he watched it. Such a wonderful lifestyle, winegrowing, winemaking. Maria loves it. She blossoms when she talks of it. So easy to stay here. Too easy. He let out a deep sigh as he swivelled his head to take in his surroundings. Far too easy.

When details of the lorry emerged, he rose and headed back down the switchbacks, arriving as Maria pulled to a stop in the courtyard. All three women wore broad smiles. Looks as though the transaction had no problems.

He opened Maria's door, and she jumped down and into his arms. "God, I missed you. I cannot believe how much. I've brought my writing portfolio, and I'm staying here tonight."

He kissed her, then looked up to see Jacob giving Rachel and Bethia a hand down, so he went back to another kiss. "The transaction? No problems?"

"Quick and smooth. Five minutes."

They turned to the others, and David stepped across to greet Bethia with a hug. "I've completed my cyphering and Jacob agrees with it. You have the settlement money?"

"Yes, a draft from my lawyer's bank. Herr Goldstein said it would be the easiest instrument to negotiate in Switzerland. I told him I'd pay his fees directly, so it's the full amount."

"Excellent. That's by far the best..." He looked up at the sound of Maddie's voice.

"Lunch will be five minutes."

Maria squeezed David's arm. "We retrieved the rucksacks, and I've brought yours. It's in the box under the seat."

"With the weapon?"

She nodded, then saw his concerned face. "What?"

"That wasn't wise. If the German border guards had searched."

"They do little now but stare at me with puppy eyes and smile. That's why I drive."

As they relaxed at the gazebo table after lunch, David explained his calculations. "Can any of you find any holes in this logic?"

There were shaking heads around the table, then Bethia said, "Let's go over and present an offer to her. Only you and I, David. We don't want to scare her with a crowd of people."

"It's a steep climb over the ridge. I can drive you around if Maria shows me the vehicle controls."

"But you have no driving papers."

"Jacob said none is needed in Switzerland. We can drive into town to the bank afterwards."

Maria showed him the levers and pedals and explained their use. "Come back here before you go into town. I want to go with you."

Ten minutes later, Greta stepped out into the courtyard at the sound of the lorry's approach. After greetings, they sat at the kitchen table while David leafed through his folder of paper, explaining the data sources and his calculations. "So, all of this leads to a fair market value of one hundred and forty-eight thousand Francs."

Bethia looked into Greta's eyes and said, "I offer you a tidier sum; one hundred and fifty thousand."

Greta laughed. "Funny, I was just thinking of asking if you'd raise it to that. I find myself torn... I want to sell, but..." She let out a deep sigh. "The children have turned so remote." She looked down at the table. "It's sad, but I don't know where I'll go, what I'll do."

"There are so many rooms here. Why don't you stay? I'll provide you room and board, and you can offer us your knowledge and experience of the estate and lend a hand as we restore it."

"Would you want to do that?"

"I wouldn't have offered if I didn't."

Greta extended her hand to shake. "We have a deal." Her eyes filled with tears. "And I have family again."