Chapter Three: Exploring

Bluekit tipped her head to one side. So? What's wrong with that?

Pebblestream and Larchpool were now discussing in hushed tones about Bluekit's eyes.

"It's nothing to worry about." Larchpool was mewing, although she didn't sound so sure. "Cats have been born with two different eye colors before."

"Not in seasons." Pebblestream replied, eyes wide and anxious. "And not in those colors, too. It's always usually blue and amber. Hers are blue and green."

Larchpool tipped her head to one side. She seemed to be considering Pebblestream. "You're worried it might be an omen. That bad things may happen, and on her account."

Pebblestream half-glanced Bluekit's way. "Not only that. I'm worried about what the others may think of her, think what she may bring." Larchpool nodded as if in understanding.

Bluekit, watching the exchange between her mother and the brown queen, didn't understand a thing they were talking about, but she got the feeling that mismatched eyes meant trouble. She was so absorbed into their conversation she didn't notice Larchpool's kits stroll over to her brother and sister until one of them spoke in her ears.

"Hi!"

Bluekit jumped in alarm and spun around, pelt bristling in aggression.  "What do you want?" she hissed.

The kit who had spoken stepped back in surprise, his amber eyes widening as they met her own. He was grey-furred and stocky, with a white chest and muzzle. "Sorry," he mewed. "I didn't mean to startle you. You have nice eyes. I'm Stonekit, by the way," he added. "You're Bluekit, aren't you?"

"Uh-"

Before Bluekit could finish her sentence, the gray-black kit bounded over. "Hi!" she squeaked. "You've finally opened your eyes! I'm Coalkit, Stonekit's sister." She nudged her brother in the ribs for good measure.

Bluekit blinked, unsure how to answer. She finally replied, "Yes, I'm Bluekit, and this sister, Heatherkit, and my brother, Ashkit." She hoped her hastily-made answer was acceptable.

"Cool!" Coalkit mewed. "You have pretty eyes, by the way."

Bluekit was startled, and relieved. At least there were two cats who didn't seem to think her eyes a foretelling of a disastrous event, or at least weird. "Thanks."

Heatherkit interrupted Pebblestream's and Larchpool's urgent conversation by going up to her mother and nudging her shyly. Pebblestream looked down, distracted, and Heatherkit mewed, "Can we go out now? Bluekit's opened her eyes, and you said we could go out and explore once everyone's fully awake."

Pebblestream threw a worried glance at her second daughter. "I don't know..." she murmured.

Bluekit looked up from her acquaintances, and Ashkit hurried over to his mother. "You promised!"

Bluekit turned away. The thought that she, her eyes, was the cause of all the worry and broken promises, made her angry.

 Pebblestream sighed. "Yes, you may."

Heatherkit needed no more persuasion. "Let's go!" she yowled to her littermates, tripping over her paws in her rush to the exit. "There's no time to waste!"

"Wait!" Pebblestream called, springing to her paws. "I'm coming with you."

"There's no need," Heatherkit moaned, but Pebblestream was already at their side.

The three kits squeezed out the gap in between the brambles, gasping when they finally got their tails through. Bluekit sneezed, shook all the dust out of her ruffled pelt, and blinked.