Lestrade: The common cold

Paring: Lestrade x reader
Word count: 527

After all these years in which you worked for Scotland Yard, there was nearly nothing you couldn't fight, except for one.
The common cold.

Psychopaths and rapists? They didn't scare you anymore.
Serial killers? You'd seen one, seen them all.
Robbers and murderers? Child's play.
But after all, there was one thing which couldn't be locked away in a cell, which was immune to weapons and which a judge couldn't get rid of...
The common cold.

If there was one thing you really hated, then it was being sick. It felt worse than any criminal you've ever faced. Okay, maybe you tend to slightly exaggerate but bedrest really sucked.
You got sick after interviewing a mother with her runny-nose kid and a few days later you were stuck in bed with a virus.
You heard a light knock on your door, you instantly looked up and coughed: "Come in."
Greg entered, pushing the door open with his hips because his hands were full. He smiled at you gently. "How are you feeling today?", he murmured while sitting down on the edge of your bed.
"Better.", you responded.
"You're a terrible liar", he chuckled, "Still, I made you some soup.", he set the bowl in his hands on the bedside table.
You thanked him and then added: "I think I can go to work tomorrow."
Greg's lips twisted together, he placed a hand on your forehead, which was still hot from the fever. "Sorry, (Y/N), but as long as you're not 100% over this, I won't let you. I'm afraid you will have to stay in bed all week, darling."
"You're not my mother, you know...", you muttered teasingly.
"No I'm not but I'm your caring boyfriend who also is in charge of Scotland Yard.", he answered and placed a kiss on your cheek.
"Am I right, assuming that this is your famous chicken noodle soup?", you asked gesturing towards the bowl. Proudly smiling Greg picked it up.
"You want some?", he asked and slurped a bit off the spoon, "Real foodporn if you ask me."
"Give me that bowl.", you laughed, reaching for it, as you started to cough again.
"Woah, easy there. Don't overwork yourself. As a start, you should try to sit up." Reluctantly you pushed yourself in a sitting position. "Good, and now open your mouth.", he instructed smiling. You couldn't help but role your eyes at his mothering as he started spooning you bits of soup. Creamy, delicious, hot soup.

"As much as I want to stay, I have to go back to work now", he finally said and got up. As an answer you just grumbled at him. "Don't worry, I'll come back later and until then these will have to look after you...", he said chuckling while putting some cough sweets, nasal spray and tissues on the table next you. "If anything happens, call me.", he said and kissed your cheek.

"Greg?"
"Hm?", he was just about to leave your room.
"I love you.", you said and instantly started coughing again.
"I love you, too.", he answered and closed the door behind him.