7. 'Draco's' (as well as Elvis's) Detour!

I went down the stairs and met an elf. My mother now had said I'd had enough training of the Unforgiveable curses. Besides, it was time that the Ministry of Magic started suspecting something was up. 

“Where’s my mother?” I asked.

“She’s with the Dark Lord Miss,” the elf replied. I felt a twinge of irritation. When did she ever leave The Dark Lord? Dismissing the elf, I sat down on the living room, waiting for my so called mother to appear.

After a long, long while, she did appear.

“Good Evening Mother,” I greeted. She glanced at me and her eyes tightened. “Yes?” My eyes were as determined as I said, “I’m here to say, Draco and me are doing our best to plan for Dumbledore’s death.”

“Oh you are, are you?” Bella advanced towards me, her eyes scrutinizing me. “Yes,” I confirmed. “Good,” she whispered, nearing me. “And I’m also here to say,” I looked right back at her, my gaze burning into hers, “I’m going to make you proud.”

*

“Come on!” Draco urged me, looking around urgently though I was right beside him. “I am,” I rolled my eyes.  We started walking faster. On the way we saw Fred and George’s shop, but I didn’t bother to look that way, while Draco stole a glance at it. It was a good thing Hagrid (who was outside, probably guarding) was busy singing softly and didn’t notice me. Though I was not so close to him like the three of my past best friends were, we were on pretty good terms. Not anymore though. “Just around the corner,” Draco whispered, nodding at the curve. We had sneaked out of the Malfoy Manor. Aunt Narcissa wasn’t too enthusiastic about this mission like her son was. A true mother wouldn’t be. She didn’t want Draco to continue. But Draco stayed put. He thought of it like a challenge, something to prove his worth, something that would free his dad, something that would make him The Dark Lord’s favorite.

After walking a short distance, we reached an old, battered place. As Draco and me entered, the door bell tinkled. An old, bad tempered looking man came in view, “Yes?”

“This necklace, I want it,” Draco ordered. The man snickered, “Do you have one and a hundred Galleons?” Draco sneered as I said with a sarcastic smile, “You’ll see.”

“There’s a cabinet in your shop, it’s broken, you know how to fix it?” Draco asked.

“Possibly,” Borgin said and by his tone, he probably knew how to do it, “I’ll need to see it though.”

“We just need you to tell us how to do it,” I said.

“I couldn’t guarantee anything,” Borgin was still stupid enough to say.

“No?” Draco sneered, “Perhaps this will make you more confident.” He sent me a knowing look. With a sneer like his, I showed my dark mark along with him. “What about now?” I whispered in a way my mother did. Borgin looked frightened instantly, the poor man. “Tell anyone and there’ll be a retribution. You know Fenrir Greyback? He’s a family friend, he’ll be dropping in time to time to make sure you’re giving the problem your full attention,” Draco finished.

“There’ll be no need for-” Borgin started.

“We’ll see about that,” I said. “Yeah,” Draco sided, “Well, we’ll be off then. And don’t forget to keep that one safe, we’ll need it.” I frowned. Draco hadn’t mentioned the necklace, ever. Yet, I composed my face into the usual indifferent one.

“Perhaps you’d like to take it now?”

I was feeling irritated with this man, “Oh yes please, because we want to look like idiots,” with a fluid movement, my wand was out, pointed to Borgin’s chest, “idiot,” I insulted Borgin. A horrible feeling spread through me, snaking its way from my stomach to my hands. I dropped my wand quickly, hoping no one had seen the urgency with which I’d done that. “And don’t you sell it,” Draco said with an acid smile.