Chapter Six

I grabbed the handle of my trunk, which was filled with what I figured I'd need during the time we would be at war.

I was not sure on how to feel about the thought of war; or that I could be the only woman in this entire camp we were headed to.

I silently prayed that there would be ladies serving as nurses at the camp, to at least put my thoughts to rest for a small amount of time.

Today was the day. I felt a mixture of excitement and anxiousness; hopefully, the men there wouldn't be too rash towards me.

That's when I felt myself run into a brick wall, or Alexander, I just preferred to call him that since he always found out how to get in my way.

"Good morning, [Your Name]! Are you not excited? You seem a bit caught up in your thoughts." He blabbered, I sighed and stood my trunk to the side.

"Good morning, Alex. I am just having mixed emotions this morning." I told him as I sat on the sofa and put my hands in my lap.

He sat next to me and gave a comforting smile, "You'll be fine, I'll make sure of it." He told me.

I gave a weak smile, I would never understand him; he is kind towards me, though, he wishes I did not take part in this war.

"I appreciate that Alexander, but I need to be able to defend for myself—"

"Your favorite Frenchman is here!" Yelled Lafayette who bursted into the front door followed by John and Hercules, whom were basically radiating with excitement.

"Perhaps you are not my favorite Frenchman, maybe I have another friend whom happens to come from France." I remarked as I stood and walked up to him.

"Oh, [Your Name], you never fail to make a smart comment towards me." He said acting slightly hurt.

I smirked at him, "What would you do with out me."

"Have a kind friend whom does not attack me with her words." He said as the others laughed.

"So, a boring friend whom does not have a sense of humor." I said as I looked him in the eye and smiled, "oui?" I added in a mocking voice which made the men burst into laughter once more.

Lafayette slung his arms around me and pulled me into a tight hug, to the point where I was gasping for air.

"Alright, enough playing around! We've got a carriage to load into!" Exclaimed Alexander whom broke apart Lafayette and I's bone crushing hug.

"Yes you two, stop playing around!" John said as he stuck his tongue out at us, immaturely.

Hercules cleared his voice, making us all shut our mouths. "I will take my chance to be the mature one in this situation. Now, children, we have a place to get to so stop with that foolishness and follow me."

This only made us all laugh harder, including Hercules.

In the carriage, I sat between Lafayette and Alexander with John and Hercules on the other side.

"So [Your Name], have you found a wedding dress yet?" John asked smirking at me then looking at Alexander.

"Excuse me, but I think I would remember if I needed something such as a wedding dress." I said monotoned.

"Ah, I see." John nodded, "The runaway bride still has yet to be courted by her secret admirer."