Chapter Eight

The little outdoors bus stop was empty but for the three of us. Lou Ellen took pleasure in turning small bugs into teacup pigs and then back again, Kayla just stood there twiddling her thumbs. I however was continuing to think about the prophecy. ‘The trio sent to save the trees’ that was obviously us. ‘Shall be wary of all things in threes’ well it was a trio so we were probably already doomed.

    The bus pulled up. Quickly without saying anything the three of us boarded the bus and sat in the back row. Kayla and Lou Ellen sat on the left and I sat on the right.

    I leaned over the aisle to where Lou Ellen was sitting and whispered, “This bus is disgusting!”

    “I know,” she said back at a normal volume, “But it is the cheapest way to get to Ohio.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    After about two hours with no problem the bus stopped at a bus stop.

“There is a one hour break to walk around.” the driver announced. Everybody but us got off the bus, even the driver. We started to talk but a loud bang came from the front of the bus. Simultaneously the three of us stood up and readied our weapons-Kayla her bow, Lou Ellen her hands, and I raised up my knives.

Three cerastae-they were basically snakes that had no bones, but had a set of ram-like horns on their head-slithered towards us.

“What are those?” Kayla asked in a voice that sounded both curious and terrified.

“Those,” I said as I stepped back, “Are cerastae. I hate them, they are super flexible. Don’t let them wrap around you.” With that I through one of my knives at the first. It moved out of the way to quickly. “Είστε οι πιο ηλίθια πλάσματα ζωντανός!,” I yelled in ancient greek.

“I don’t think insulting it is going to work,” Lou Ellen said matter of factly.

“Whatever,” I snapped back. I through my other knife. It hit one of them and it exploded into a small pile of glimmering, yellow dust. “Lets just kill these. I’m out of knives by the way.”

“Well do you have any other weapons?!” they both shouted at the same time.

I grabbed an arrow from Kayla’s quiver. “Yup.”

I threw the arrow just as Kayla shot her arrow at one of each of the cerastae. The one Kayla hit turned to dust immediately. I hit the other in the eye and it began to squirm around. Lou Ellen finished it off with magic somehow. To be honest I had no clue what she did to it but it exploded into dust and that was all that I cared about.

“I think you made them mad when you called them the stupidest creatures alive,” Kayla noted.

“Well now they are the stupidest creatures that are dead so I don’t really care until they return from Tartarus. We should probably find a different way to get to the caverns.”

“Well, I guess we should get on a train to Ohio then.” Lou Ellen said. With that we got off the bus and found the nearest train station.