Chapter Nine

Turns out there are no trains going to Ohio from wherever we were at, so we began to walk. Nobody said a word. We walked until nightfall.

“Let's stop here for the night,” Kayla said.

“Finally I can stop walking!” Lou Ellen shouted. This would’ve drawn attention, except for the fact that we were in the middle of nowhere.

“I’ll keep watch. I’m not tired.” I said quickly. After I agreed to wake them up in a few hours I sat and watched the stars. I missed the stars more than ever now. I layed on the grass for hours watching the night sky.

“You never planned to wake us up, did you?” Lou Ellen asked. Right after that Kayla sat up.

“I told you she wouldn’t,” Kayla said in a tired voice.

“Nope. I don’t need what you guys need.” That seemed to confuse them. I didn’t expect them to know about me.

“What do you mean you don’t need what we need? We all need sleep, food, water, and all that kind of stuff.” Kayla asked me.

I looked at her and sighed. “Who do you think ‘Daughter of the oldest stars is’.”

Both Kayla and Lou Ellen looked shocked by this revelation.

“How are you a daughter of stars?” Lou Ellen asked.

“Artemis created me along with a son of the trees. The tree I am always in is the son of the trees. Once we do something that is admirable we can go back to our, I guess you could say ‘true forms’.” I explained, “It just happens in its own time. I can’t really get hurt either.”

“How does that part work?”

“I’m merely a mirage. I’m made of stars and if I wanted to on a full moon I could be well, invisible I guess.” I said agitated that I had to tell people about myself.

“Can you teleport on a full moon?” Kayla asked. I’m pretty sure she was intrigued by me now.

“I can try.” I grabbed each of them by the arm, closed my eyes, and concentrated on the moon light and on the caverns we were headed to. I felt the air rush around us in a swirling movement, moving faster, faster, faster… then just as quickly as it the wind came it stopped. Somebody gasped so I opened my eyes. There we were in Bellevue, Ohio. "Well that's new."

“That,” Lou Ellen said, “Is better than any magic I have.”

“Thanks, I guess. Let's go find the caverns. Better to do this when nobody will be there.”