3.12 The Freys

A week had passed

A week had passed. Arabella felt sickness everyday. Nora was too young to know what was happening to the Queen so she called Maester Wyman. "When was the last time you bled, your grace?" Wyman asked her. Then Arabella realized what he had in mind.

"Two moons ago." she answered her smile growing.

"I think you are pregnant with the kings baby." Maester Wyman stood up with a warm smile.

"Don't tell anyone, I'll tell my husband myself." she raised as well still smiling. Maester Wyman left. "Nora, you need to keep it as a secret. Promise me." she took her handmaidens hands and she nodded.

"Of course." Nora hugged the queen and they both laughed. "I wish Alec could be here."

"Me too, friend." Arabella pulled away with a sad smile. "Let's just hope we'll be able to see him soon."

Stolle was standing behind the door, when Arabella walked out. "Your husband is waiting for you in the big hall." he informed her.

"Let's go then, shall we?" she couldn't keep her excitement. She wanted to shout to the world that she and Robb would become parents. She prayed for it to be a son but a girl would bring just as much joy as a boy.

She walked into the great hall and saw her husband, Catelyn, Edmure and Brynden sitting on one side of the table. Two other men were eyeing her on the other side. "I apologize--" she began but Robb interrupted her.

"Arabella, this is Lothar and 'Black Walder' Frey." Robb introduced and Arabella looked back at the two men.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." she smiled and sat next to Catelyn who smiled a little.

"Thank you for riding here so quickly." Robb said to the Freys. "I know traveling isn't easy in these times."

"When the king in the north addressed us, we come." 'Black Walder' said. Arabella could sense a hint of mock in his voice.

"Our father has instructed us to tell you, that his alliance with the North can't continue." Lothar added seriously. "If his terms are met. Our father requires a formal apology for your violation of your secret oath to marry one of his daughters."

Arabella looked down. "Of course." Robb nodded politely. "He deserves as much as I was in the wrong."

"He thinks it's betrayal. He demands Harrenhal." the other Frey told them. Arabella glanced at Robb.

"I don't think that--" Edmure began.

"We are fighting for the North." Robb interrupted him. "Harrenhal is not in the North. It is his. Once the war is over and we have no strategy for him."

"And there is something else." 'Black Walder' looked down at something and Arabella wanted to roll her eyes.

"We will do whatever we can to give Lord Frey what he needs." Robb looked at them.

"Not what. Whom." 'Black Walder' looked at Edmure.

"What?" Edmure questioned caught off guard in his seat. He then understood. "Ah...No."

"Our Father requires Lord Edmure to wed one of his daughters. Roslin."

"How old is she?" Edmure asked instantly. He didn't want to marry the Frey girl as he knew none of them were pretty.

"Nineteen." Lothar answered.

"Can I see her first?" Edmure asked and Arabella couldn't help but let out a quiet laughter. To her luck, no one heard her.

"I count to teeth. We depart to the Twins in morning. We need the answer before we leave." Lothar told them with a cold look on his face.

"Your Father does realize we're in the middle of war?" Brynden spoke for the first time.

"Father is old." Lothar answered.

"And his recent experience made him very off long engagement." 'Black Walder' added.

"He has every right to be." Robb nodded. "If you excuse he while we discuss it."

The Freys both stood up and left the hall. "Why should I let that parrot to choose my bride for me?" Edmure asked unsatisfied. "For at least I should be offered the same option as you were." he stood up.

"He's a proud man. We've wounded him." Robb answered with deep thoughts in his head.

"My answer is no." Edmure shook his head. Brynden stood up.

"Listen to me." he walked over to his nephew. "And listen very carefully. You are--"

"Off all the Gods and men are very clear. No man can compel other man to marry." Edmure said clear and Arabella looked down at her feet. She felt responsible and guilty for the actions that were happening.

"The Law of my fist are about to peel your teeth." Brynden threatened.

"It's alright." Robb interrupted their bicker. "You heard him. If you refuse, our alliance with The Freys is dead..."

Vote, read, comment.