Scream

He waited. Any moment, the people for whom he had tried to die would see him, lying apparently dead, in Hagrid's arms. "NO!" The scream was the more terrible because he had never expected or dreamed that Professor McGonagall could make such a sound.

And yet another screech still rung through the courtyard, and it was not of his beloved friends or teachers - it was of Draco Malfoy, and Harry cracked his eyes open just enough to see the boy, pale face covered in grime and soot, clothing tattered and torn, eyes wide, unblinking, and un-moving from where Harry lay against Hagrid's chest.

Harry was not the only one shocked by this development - he saw the crowd of Hogwarts students and teachers and warriors glance briefly at him in surprise and heard whispering from the followers of Voldemort. Hagrid grunted out a brief, "Wha-?!", cut off as Draco screamed again.

This time, he curled in on himself as if punched in the gut, his hair spiked in every direction. His head was bowed as he continued to wail, and it seemed that time itself had stopped along with the divided crowd to watch this broken boy.

In an instant, his head snapped up and in his red-rimmed eyes Harry could see a cold fury, a burning hatred such as none he had ever seen before - and it was directed at Voldemort himself. His chest was heaving and he let out one more yell as he lifted his arm, bursts of light streaking from the tip of his wand, hex after hex after jinx after curse directed toward Voldemort, toward the Death Eaters, towards his parents, each one deflected with ease, his choppy sobs punctuating each flick of his wrist. Finally, as the rest of Hogwarts began to follow his lead, Harry tumbled down from Hagrid's arms, accompanied by scattered gasps.

Draco had by now fallen to the ground among piles of rubble and bodies, shuddering every-so-often, apparently unaware that the Golden Boy was not, in fact, dead, and had witnessed his show.

Harry, in his rush to lure Voldemort into the Great Hall, raced past him and tripped over his foot. Both boys locked eyes for a brief moment -

"Potter!"

"Malfoy."

- before Harry scrambled up, Draco a moment behind, and the two parted ways to help win the war.

A/N: i finally have an ao3 account ;) check me out bruvs