Chapter 15

Dad tried his best to convince me going back with him was the best option now, but I refused. For the first time in my life, I was standing up to someone who wasn't trying to kill me, and it felt pretty good.

"Honestly, Selena, I do not believe staying here is a good idea. You may trust Maria and her son, but what of her husband? He's the reason those scientists came up and found you here." He was doing his best to persuade me to go back with him, but it wasn't working.

"Dad, I'm sure he just forgot. And besides, I'm in more danger there than here. One of the other servants might see me, and that's very likely considering I can't fold my wings!" I moved my black one for emphasis. Bad idea, I thought, wincing in pain.

Dad and I had never had a fight before. Even two years ago when he told me to stay and not follow him, I had just nodded and wished him well. Our first fight was something stupid considering my well being. Not that I would consider this a fight, just a small argument. But even then, we've never so much as talked against one another.

I stared at him, wishing for Maria to return. She had left to compose herself and find out why her husband had let the scientists upstairs. And to probably call someone about the four dead bodies lying in the hallway.

He sighed, seeing that I wasn't going to break easily. Placing a gentle hand on my shoulder, he looked me in the eyes. "You heal faster than humans. I'll come get you in a few days unless something happens."

"Either way, you can't do anything for me, and you know it. I'm more like Mom than you. You don't know how to treat angels. I'm safer here, anyway. Only those four scientists knew I was here. Maria can tell the others they were killed in an experiment gone wrong and then everything will be fine. And all the scientists want to do is experiment on me. Demon Hunters know that I'm staying in the Phantomhive Manor. That technically makes me safer here than there."

My father opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by a door opening and closing again. Maria approached us, arms folded, seeming enraged and devastated all at once.

"What's the matter?" I asked, concerned.

She shook her head, then sighed. "He told those four that you were here. He said he doesn't want to be living under the same roof as a 'monster.'"

I felt my eyes start to water, and my father's grip on my shoulder tightened.

"Then I told him that you weren't a monster, and to get his butt out of my house." She gave me a sympathetic smile, then put her hand on my arm. You're no monster to me. I believe you are just a very special person."

I nodded, and she let go of my arm. "I'm going to get you a different room, so in case he decides to show his face again, he won't find you right away. Also, I won't be here for about an hour tomorrow morning. I'm going to make sure that when the divorce goes through, he doesn't get his filthy paws on Peter."

"Thanks," I responded quietly.

She smiled. "I should be thanking you. I never would have figured out what a jerk he is if you hadn't shown up." She moved over to the door and opened it, then turned back to me. "He should be done packing by now, so I'll go make sure he gets out and then go set up your room. "I'll come get you once I'm finished." She left the room, closing the door behind her.

I wiped tears from my eyes, then turned to my father. "See? She cares about me and I'm safe here. Her husband is leaving, and I'll be able to recover."

He stared at the door that Maria had just went through, then glanced back at me. He closed his eyes and sighed, then opened them again, gazing at me.

"You really are your mother's daughter, aren't you?" he asked through a half smile, his eyes shining. He kissed my forehead. "You win. Maria has earned my trust. Just stay safe."

I nodded.

There was silence between us for a few minutes. I was so happy that I had been able to convince Dad that I was going to be fine with Maria. But did he really trust her? Or was it me he trusted to make the right decision for myself?

Maria came back into the room. "I put him in a carriage and told the driver to take his so far away from here he couldn't possibly find his way back."

"But don't you need him for the divorce?" I asked.

Maria shrugged. "Either way, he isn't taking my Peter."

"Wow, you're going to break you promise to speak the truth?"

She nodded. "If it'll keep you safe, I'll kill him myself."

I smiled, glancing up at my father to make sure he understood my point that I was safe with her. I then suddenly winced in pain as my wing began to hurt more."

Maria noticed and frowned. She came over to me and pulled a bottle of medicine from her pocket. She opened the lid and pulled out a small pill. "Here," she said, holding it out to me. "You've had a long day. Swallow this and it'll help you sleep tonight."

I hesitantly took the human medication from her and turned it over in my hand, examining it. I'd taken medicine before, so I knew how it worked. None of it had ever been made by humans, though.

"Don't worry, it's safe."

I glanced up at Maria, who was smiling patiently at me. Trusting her word, I put the pill in my mouth and swallowed it.

Dad didn't seem too thrilled about the whole thing, but I trusted Maria would never give me anything to hurt me. I felt tired almost immediately, and leaned against my father.

Maria gently took my arm. I gave my father a quick hug before being taken from the room and led to my new bedroom. But unfortunately, I couldn't make the rest of the trip, and I fell asleep in Maria's arms.