XXXI Changes

unedited

---------------------------

After our kiss, Apollo and I walk back to the campsite. It's time to pack and leave. I sigh. The camp was actually surprisingly so fun and I learned to much. And well...there was also Apollo as well. My cheeks warm at the thought of our kiss. I snap out of my thoughts. We're all just gathered in the hall listening to Chuck's instructions for packing for home. Home. The place I'd probably least like to be right now. Home involves my mum. My anxiety. Archie. I physically shiver. I look over to Apollo and his eyes meet mine as he grins cheekily. My cheeks warm a few degrees more and I turn back my attention back to Chuck. I wouldn't be able to say what on earth he's been talking about if my life was on the line. Oh well, Kat can tell me after.

"...and okay, off you go team! Thanks for a great camp!" Chuck finishes. Everyone starts filing out back to their rooms to pack and then get onto the bus and I start to follow but someone grabs my sleeve.

"What the hell are you doing?" Kat is behind me, her sharp eyes boring into mine, searching my face.

"What?"

"What are you doing around that Apollo guy? What happened on that walk?"

"No-nothing," I try to lie but I know my lies are written all over my face.

"Lexa I don't really trust him," she says.

"How can you not, Kat! Look at him, he's so nice and harmless!" I protest.

"Yes I can see and that's what makes me suspicious. Please tell me you're not getting romantically involved with him!"

"I -well..." I begin but Kat interrupts.

"What. did. you. do! You only just got out of a relationship with Archie which even though I know wasn't long seemed pretty serious! What were you thinking?!" she hisses. By now, everyone seems to have left, including Chuck and Apollo to pack. For some reason, Kat's words sting a lot more than they should.

"I- he's just so nice!" I try and justify my actions but now when I think about it, I realise Kat is kind of right. Why do I have to let boys get under my skin so often! "It was just a kiss!" I add. Kat frowns.

"I hope it just was and this doesn't go any further. I don't think you should have him as a tutor. Archie is one thing but this...this guy...there's something so off about him..."

"Kat, stop. That's enough. You can't say those things about people you don't even know. He actually helped him and he's the most genuine person I've ever met so don't you go lecturing me!" I start to get slightly riled up. How dare she judge him on the few minutes she's spoken to him. "I can choose who I want to kiss and be with and as a friend you should respect that." Without another word, I spin on my heel and head for the door.

"Lexa, Just be careful!" Kat calls after me. "If there's one thing I know it's people and that boy is a bad person!" I ignore her last words, storming out towards the cabin. How dare she? How dare she? Just when I'm starting to improve, to get comfortable, she says shit like that. I can't see at all how she thinks Apollo is this untrustworthy guy! Archie is the untrustworthy one! I spend the next few minutes, furiously packing my stuff when there's a knock at the door. I storm over and open it a bit too violently. Apollo steps back, his hand in the air mocking surrender.

"Oh it's you..." I say blushing. "Sorry about that!"

"I just wanted to say that I can't sit with you on the bus. There's a group of primary school kids coming tomorrow and Chuck wants me to help them learn to 'count money'," he shudders. "It's going to be torture."