The Watchers

Underground: Unknown Location

The room was silent as the light from an array of screens poured into the dark, circular space. The televisions surrounding half of the rooms walls grew louder as a small figure seated in the center of the room raised a hand. The screens showed white figures fighting the Justice League. The figure's fingers twitched as the screens lit up with fire. The flames seemed to consume the battle field and then turn into the slow green of kryptonite. The figure stood quickly as the green burned brighter and harder.

The figure snapped her fingers and the screens went dark. The lights came on to reveal a cylindrical room with a dirtied tile floor. The woman wore a dark hood that covered her face and drooped to the ground. Two guards stood at the entry way behind the chair. A low female voice echoed throughout the room. 

"It is time." The woman proceeded to march out of the room with two guards dressed in black vests following her.

"Will it work Madame Vestra?"Asked one of the guards.

The small woman chuckled in delight. "Indeed," she crooned, "secrets, twisted religion, and fear always work."

******

Outskirts of the Gotham City Storage Facility

"It's getting really bad. I think we should go in." Artemis had her binoculars zoomed in on the fighting. She put them away and began to lean forward with her bow and arrow in hand. 

Nightwing extended his arm sideways to block her path. "We can't."

"Sorry 'N' man, but do you not see what's going on? I think the guys in the white kabuki get up are really starting to pull ahead." 

 Impulse zoomed next to Nightwing and grabbed the binoculars he was looking from. Impulse showed him a stern face and threw them off the side of the building they were spying from.

Nightwing gave a sigh and reached in his utility belt to pull out another pair. "People will know we were here," Nightwing said in a warning tone.

"Um," Impulse rolled his eyes, "hate to break to you 'N', but we're in the middle of nowhere scouting in an abandoned city."

"The same abandoned city that got blasted with the weapons from the storage area just over that hill. Now Impulse, if you know what's good for you. Shut up and trust me." Nightwing looked through his binoculars again.

Impulse laid down and put his arms in the air with frustration. "God! You sound just like Batman! Not crash dude!"

Nightwing gave a smirk. "But at least we're here. Now keep your voice down."

******

The Commander's Ship

When the injection went into Wonder Woman's body, she immediately felt relief from all of the electricity surging in her body. She was so weak that she felt like she could just fall asleep as the sensation of peace washed over. She went limp as Amanda emptied the syringe.

Wonder Woman's mind began to dream and get lost in relaxing thoughts as all of the pain and discomfort faded away like sand at the tide. She began to imagine her warm jungle and being with her fellow Amazons in training. She saw her mother standing and watching them from the steps of the ancient temple.

The temple was being supported by white pillars that also made the walls. The open space had a triangular roof that rested on the pillars. A long marble table ran through the center and stopped at a white throne.

Wonder Woman spoke with great joy as she approached her mother. She had not seen her since she flew into the Man's World. "Mother?" She reached a hand out.

Hippolyta opened her arms in a welcoming gesture and gave a great smile. "You are welcomed home."

Diana returned the joyous smile and flew to her mother. She was greeted by caring arms and warm words. 

"I have missed you my daughter." 

Diana let go of her mother and looked back to the training. All of her friends had stopped their fighting and were cheering for her. It was a warm feeling.

"Diana! Diana! Diana!" 

But Wonder Woman looked closer at their faces and then felt her stomach drop. Each face had black eyes and razor sharp teeth. Their veins were black against their pale skin and were protruding from their necks.

She quickly turned to her mother who had placed a hand on her shoulder. Her face was the same as the others. She sprang back in surprise as her mother gave an emotionless shriek. The others in the crowd followed suit. Diana felt flustered as her mother jumped at her with long, black nails.

Diana threw out a punch and her mother stumbled back. The crowd began to charge at her, giving the same empty screams as before. Wonder Woman flew into the air as the mob reached her. When she looked down on them she saw that the temple was crumbling down and the Earth was opening into a black pit. All of her friends and family began to fall in.

"No!" Diana screamed and began to race to them to try and save them. She stopped and hovered in the air when she felt her arm twist in an unnatural way. She felt like she was being burned alive as her muscles started convulsing. The pain grew worse as she began to fall toward the black hole in the ground. She fell faster, and faster as the pain grew more intense. She foamed at the mouth as she felt the painful tearing travel to her neck and then throughout her veins. She tried to scream in pain as everything twisted, but the only thing she heard before she succumbed to the darkness was the same empty shriek from herself that the others gave her.

******

The Commander laughed as he saw Wonder Woman's eyes snap open. Her eyes were as black as onyx and her veins were sticking up from her skin. She saw the Commander and let out a hollow scream as the new creature tried to break free from its electric constraints. When its mouth opened, rows of razor grey teeth glinted in the light.

The Commander approached the creature. He placed his hand on its head and spoke in the gentle tone Tempest would never receive.

 "Hush, my daughter. The time is coming soon." The creature went still and fell silent. "That's right. You're safe now. You are an angel sent from above. I have marvelous plans for you." The Commander laughed as he felt his plan come together.

Amanda watched carefully from behind him. Her insides twisted in horror to see what the serum could do.