Chapter 8

NYSSA: Today has finally come. The day for Sara to prove to my father that she is worth his time and efforts. I haven't felt so worried before. I know I shouldn't worry, for I have trained Sara very well and she is a quick learner. Yet, I fear my father's reluctance to take women into the League might sway him to not take her in. It also doesn't help that she is an American. For my father, that is what I think Americans call a "double-whammy." Or at least I believe that's the term. American slang is quite odd, but I'm trying to learn it.

Sara has been on the bed eating a biscuit while reviewing Arabic for a half an hour and I haven't had to correct her on any of it thus far. We didn't train this morning because I want her to be very well rested for the examination. I have full faith in her that she is proficient enough. Yesterday, I asked my father if I could observe the examination, and with some quarrel, he allowed it after a deal I made with him.

I sit on the floor content with my thoughts and then Sara speaks to me in Arabic, to my surprise.

"Nyssa, are you worried?" She asks me.

I try to respond with words that she knows. "I worry not. You are ready."

She smiles softly. "You think so?"

"Yes, Yellow Bird. I have faith."

"Faith? That's a new word."

I respond in English. "I have faith in you, Sara."

She nods. "Faith," she says in Arabic.

I smile. "You are an exceptional student and you have come very far. You are going to be great."

"Hm. I would've thought you would want me to fail so that you don't have to live up to your side of the deal," she says joking.

I smile a bit. "Well, I've thought about the situation and I have concluded that I may have overthought. Besides, your failure means your death, and I reckon that is a loss for both of us."

Sara raises her eyebrows intrigued. "So you're admitting that I am right about the bed thing and that you'd miss me if I get executed? Gee, I never thought of you as such a softy," she says jokingly.

"I am admitting nothing and do not antagonize me, little bird."

Just then, there is a knock at the door. "What is it?" I say to whoever is at the door.

"Ra's is ready for the Yellow Bird."

"Impossible. He said she had until six. She still has two hours to prepare."

"Ra's made it clear that it was not a request."

I look at Sara who apparently understood his words. "You are ready, Sara. I will be right there with you. You need not worry."

She exhales nervously. "Thank you," she says as she walks to the door.

I follow as the messenger leads us to where my father is. Sara looks quite nervous, so I attempt to calm her by taking her hand in mine as we walk. She looks into my eyes as if she were saying thank you.

As we approach the doorway, the servant gestures to us and we enter. Sara enters and I follow. Upon entering, Sara kneels in the center of the room as I told her to do and I do the same right beside her.

My father addresses me."My daughter, we made an agreement that you could observe this examination. You agreed that if your student fails, you will be the one to take her life and you will indulge my wishes for you to use the Lazarus pit to ensure your eternal righteousness as Heir to the Demon."