6

I went back to work the day after for the morning shift. Luckily, Brittany still hasn't arrived. I had a feeling that she will give me an earful today after I yelled at a customer two days ago. I knew I was wrong and I was prepared for the worst.

That morning the café was filled as usual, most of them grabbing coffee before going to the office. I glanced at Lauren who was busy brewing coffee, fulfilling each order with a smile. Unknowingly, my feet were taking me towards the bar.

She noticed me standing there and smiled, "Good morning, Camila."

"Morning, Lauren," I replied short.

I wanted to say more but my tongue won't cooperate with me. I was nervous around her lately."Yes. Would you like a cup? I can quickly make you one before Brittany comes in."

"Hmm, I'd like a cup of latte with a cute drawing on top!"

She chuckled and turned around to prepare a cup for me.

"Lauren, hurry up one Cappuccino!" called Louis from the cashier desk.

Lauren seemed dumbfounded and checked the incoming order list. She slapped her forehead cutely in frustration. She missed an order because of me. Looks like I was more important than other customers. I couldn't stop grinning. Felt good being the barista's favorite.

"Camila?" a male voice behind me called.

It felt so familiar. I know this voice.

Could it be...

I turned around and saw a man standing in front of me. He was in his fifties and half of his hair had turned grey. We looked at each other for a while, not saying anything. It has been so long since I last saw him. And now I was just stunned. I couldn't believe it's him.

It's him.

I gulped.

He smiled at me, with his friendly smile; the smile that comforted me more than 15 years ago. He looked the same as he did back then, still so calm and serene.

"Uncle..." I called.

"It's really you," he said, smiling.

I bit my lip, speechless.

"How are you?" he asked.

I was still stunned. I couldn't give a reply.

"Here is your cup of cappuccino sir!" Lauren's voice broke me out from my daze.

She handed the cup to the man.

"Thank you, hmm... it smells delicious!"

"It is delicious! It's the best coffee in Caribbean!" replied Lauren, praising herself.

They both laughed and for a moment my mouth curled up. But when Lauren went back to work, he looked at me again. I stiffened.

"Do you work here?" he asked.

"I-I'm interning," I replied short.

We looked at each other and I became nervous.

"Uncle, when did you come back from the Los Angeles?" I asked.

"It's been a month. I think it's time to come back after everything that-"

He paused.

"Everything that happened."

I kept mum.

"Anyway, I'm glad to see you're doing well," he said, putting a hand on my shoulder.