entry #1

12:45pm tuesday september 24th 1988

it was the beginning of a new year, my junior year of high school. who knew what it had to offer me. i had a few friends, but they were not the best. they were the biggest clique in the school and they were trying to make me a part of it too. we would play croquet in my yard after school. they would make me dress up nicely everyday so we would all match, it was kind of disgusting. i knew that i needed new friends but they were all i had really. there was one moment of the day that i would look forward to and that was lunch. i know that a lot of people say that because they hate every other class in school but that is not the reason for me. i loved lunch the most because i could see him. he was the highlight of my day, i would grab my lunch tray and catch a glimpse of him while walking to my lunch table. most of the time the girls wouldn't notice but sometimes they would catch me staring and tell me that i was drooling. 

i tried not to let them notice because they would tell me that he is too bad for me or that he is not my type. i knew that he was bad, but he was very attractive. he had black hair and dark blue eyes, he always wore black and a long trench coat. it suited him very well. he rode a motorcycle that was very loud, so loud it would wake me up in the middle of the night.

"madeline, you are doing it again!" edna smacks my shoulder playfully, getting me out of my trance during calculus. 

"sorry, what did i miss?"

"nothing much, just the teacher blabbing about some stuff that probably does not matter." 

it did.

"you can't just daydream in class about him and don't tell me you weren't because i know you were."

"whatever edna."

the bell rings and off to lunch i hurry. i stand in line and see him sitting in his usual spot. i see that the cafeteria was serving sloppy joes once again this week and decided i was not hungry. i begin walking to my table where edna was staring me down, but then decide to go talk to him. i had been watching him for weeks and i decided it was time to finally talk to him. i look back at the girls and they all were motioning for me to come back but i didn't. 

i approach him and he smirks at me before i even say anything.

"greetings and salutations." his voice was deeper than i had expected.

"hello, um, i saw that you sit alone and i thought i would come over and talk to you."

"it's alright i sit alone all the time. but i appreciate you coming over here to talk to me for no reason. oh, and i know you have been staring at me for the past couple of weeks."

"what? i've been staring at you?"

"don't try and deny it, i don't like liars. but how about we go get slushies after school? does that sound good?"

was he asking me out on a slushy date? 

"uh, sure. i wouldn't mind that. here's my number so you can get a hold of me." i hand him a slip of paper with my number on it and stand up, beginning to walk to my regular seat.

"wait, i never got your name." he says.

"madeline, what's yours?"

"jason dean, but you can call me j.d."

"alright j.d. see you later." 

he gives me another smirk as i turn away and sit with my friends.

"holy shit, you have some balls mad!"

"thanks edna. i couldn't just sit and wait for him to make a move."

"he's bad news, mads." shelley, another member of the clique, budges in.