entry #3

8:34pm friday september 27th 1988

"shelley, do we really have to go to this party?"

"well yeah, don't you want to meet some cute college guys?"

"i kind of have a thing going with j.d. i don't want to ruin that."

"come on, i did this for you! you are coming with."

"can we at least stop at the gasmart?"

"fine." she groans.

shelley parks in the farthest parking spot away from the gasmart and i notice a motorcycle, parked close to the entrance.

"don't forget the cornnuts!" shelley yells from the front seat.

i walk into the gasmart and see a familiar black haired, long trench coat wearing j.d. hanging by the slushy machine.

"well, we meet again." i bow in front of him, grabbing the cornnuts for shelley.

"where are you going looking lovely as ever this evening?"

"i'm going to a college party with shelley. she's kind of making me go."

"that sucks." 

he hands me a cup for my slushy and i fill it to the top with cherry.

"yeah, i really don't even like my friends. isn't that sad?"

"eh, sounds like a normal teenager to me."

"yeah sure, well see you later?"

"yeah." he kisses my forehead lightly.

i pay for my things and wave to him as i walk out the door. shelley began to beep her horn, and i hurried to the car preparing to be yelled at.

-

12:34am saturday september 28th 

the party was a total bust, all the guys there were either stupid or just looking to get laid. college guys are stupid and a waste of my time. shelley and i had a huge fight after the party, since i wouldn't have a good time with one of her horny friends. i had told her i was with j.d. and i was not looking to end things with him. i see his head pop through the window, smiling at me.

"i'm guessing that party did not go as planned?"

"yeah, it was a total bust."

"you should've just stayed at home with me."

"you should've just taken me from the gasmart." i chuckle under my breath a little as he hops down from the window.

"well, i'm here now."

"it's nearly 1am. i'm tired and want to sleep."

"okay, i'll tuck you in."

i feel a soft smile come across my face as he pulls the covers over my body. he takes his trench coat and shoes off and lays next to me on top of the covers. he pulls his arms over me, keeping the warmth in. i really wanted to say something to him but i couldn't think of anything to say, except one thing.

"i love you."

it sort of just slipped out of my mouth, i had barely known the guy and i already said the 'l' word.

"i love you too, madeline." his warm breath hits my neck as i fall asleep.

-

9:12am saturday september 28th 

my parents were not going to be home all weekend because of work and i could not be more excited. j.d. could stay over without being caught and i could feel safe with him around.

"how about we pay shelley a little visit?" 

i nod my head as we walk out the door and into shelley's backyard.

"shelley always skips the trip to grandmas, even if she isn't hungover. what do you think will make her vomit? i want to get back at her so bad."

"how about a swig of this?" he holds up a bottle of cleaner.

"what, are you crazy? that stuff will kill her." 

he opens his mouth to say something but doesn't. 

"what about water mixed with some milk? what's the vomit factor on that?"

"i say we just give her this." he holds up the mug of blue liquid.

"she will not drink that."

"well, let's just put it in this cup so she won't see it." he pours it into another mug.

"water and milk it is." i pour some milk into a glass with water in it.

i look up and see j.d. just looking at me. he kisses me softly on the lips and then lets go.

"let's go."

"hey madeline?"

"what? nevermind."

i take the glass of milk mixed with water and walk to shelley's bedroom to see her fast asleep sprawled across her bed.

"rise and shine shelley."

"good morning madeline, what the hell do you think you are doing here?"

"we knew you'd be hungover so we brought you this cure to help you get rid of it, it's family recipe." j.d. says, handing it to her.

"do you really think i'm going to drink that?"

"well yeah, but it's okay if you are too scared to."

"you really think tricking me and calling me a chicken will make me drink it?"

"yeah, actually i do."

she takes the cup from j.d.'s hand and she chugs it down, but looks miserable after doing so. i could hear her stomach rumble in pain and she began choking on the air. she falls into a glass table and hits the ground, not moving.

"oh my god." i look around to see if there was any sign of her getting up.

"oh my god, i just killed my best friend."

"and your worst enemy."

"same difference. what are we going to do?"

"can't you just write a suicide note or something? make it look like she did it?"

"okay, okay. what should it say?"

"You may think what I have done is surprising but my life is not as good as it seems. Just because I am popular does not mean I have a fantastic life. I still struggle with real life problems but no one seemed to notice, and no one will notice I'm gone."

"that is good." j.d. says, as i rip the paper and set it next to her body.

i just killed my best friend.

.....

A/N: hey guys. i hope you are enjoying this so far, i'm trying to make it most like the movie as possible as you probably have already noticed. let me know how it is. thanks for reading!