s e v e n

thanks for 300 reads :) here have a trash update.  Update party this weekend for all my books. unedited ofc

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Sage, wake up."  I feel Luke shake my arm lightly, but I pretend to be asleep, hoping I won't have to move.  I hear him sigh and get out of the car.  "I know you are faking."

I laugh.  "How?'

"I have watched you sleep for my entire life, I know when you are faking."

"I don't want to move." I shrug.

"Lazy,"  He picks me up and I wrap my arms around his neck.  "We are going to stay here for the night."

I look up and see an old run down motel.  There are only two cars in the parking lot, I assume one of those people must be behind the counter, and the other must be cleaning.  Luke walks in and sets me on a very stained and dusty couch and signs us in.  I take in the surroundings of the inside of the motel.  The floors, previously carpeted, are covered in mud and dirt.  The walls have darker areas where pictures were hanging.  There isn't an elevator and the stairwell is in the back of the building.  Luke motions for me to make my way over to him, he wraps his arm around me and walks me to the door to the stairs.

"You know, there are actually people who stay here," Luke laughs.  "People who live here.  They go to work all day, stay here for cheap at night, until they can get on their feet."

"This stairwell is creepy." I groan, completely ignoring his previous statement.

He nods.  "It is a rather disturbing location,"

The stairwell is all stone and metal.  Everything, including our light footsteps and quiet comments, echos back and forth.  The lighting is poor, over half of the lights flicker on and off.

"When will you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"  Luke removes his arm from my shoulder and looks at me.

"Luke-"

"Sage," he interrupts me.  "You know that I cannot tell you."

"Yes, you can.  You killed whoever you were scared of, why-"

He stops walking and hits the wall, causing it to crack.  "It is not just her, Sage.  It is so many others.  That is why we are staying in the middle of no where.  We are getting away, we are going where they won't look for us."  He pulls off his shirt, revealing a large cut on his back.  "I had to cut out my tracker when we were at the hospital.  I just have to hope there are not any other ways for them to track me."

I look at the deep gash and see the awful stitching that he clearly did himself in a hurry to not get caught.  He continues walking and opens a door, leading to a hallway with a nearly empty vending machine at the end.  Luke takes the key he was given and shoves it into the keyhole.  He pushes the door open, revealing a small room.  He holds the door open for me and I step into the darkness.  There is only one bed, but there is a mini fridge, a television, a dresser with two drawers, and a cabinet for food.  I look in the room to the right seeing a bathroom. 

"There's only one bed." I state.  

He sits on the edge of the bed, turning on the TV.

"There's only one bed."

"Here, find something to watch.  I will go get our things from the car."

"Our things?  I didn't pack anything." I say.

"I planned ahead,"  He grabs the keys.  "Do not open the door for anyone.  If someone tries to get in and it is not me, quietly lock yourself in the bathroom."

I nod and he walks out, closing the door quietly.  I flip through the stations until I come across a music station.  I hear a car door shut outside and peek out the window.  Luke swings a bag over his shoulder and picks up the other from the ground.  Then, he looks around, and quickly walks inside.  I move to the bed and slip off my shoes.  Luke comes in as I am situating myself in the bed.

"Are you tired, Love?" he chuckles.

"Not really, but there's nothing to do." I groan and lay my head back on the pillow.

He tosses me my phone.  "No posting, liking, sharing, or messaging.  Turn off location services."

I turn on my phone, watching as the notifications from social media and games roll in.  I unlock the phone without opening any notifications and click on Instagram.  Luke lays down next to me, over the covers.

"What do you even do on this app?" he asks.  "It looks stupid.  Just post a picture and wait for everyone to like it, and then get sad when you don't get the amount of likes you want?"

"No," I laugh.  "I use it to look at memes."

"Memes?"

"Memes."

He looks at me with wide eyes.  "Do you use the term "same" as other teenagers do?"

"Uh, yes?" I laugh at his wording.

"Même is french for same."

I look at him.  "Seriously?"

"Yes, how do you look at same?"

I roll my eyes and show him memes.  Most of them he doesn't understand, but that makes sense.  If I didn't live on here, I wouldn't understand, either.

"What is a Salt Bae?  Why are there so many frogs?  Why is everyone so triggered?  Why-"

"Luke, it's okay, it's hard to become as well acquainted with dank memes as I am."

He stares at me, almost in disbelief, "WHAT?"

I laugh and lock my phone.  He shakes his head and unlocks his own.  He turns the screen slightly away from me, so I look to the other side of the room.  The street is nearly empty, I occasionally see a car drive by, but no one ever stops.

"Have you ever wondered what would happen if you were to die?" he asks quietly.

"What?"  I flip over and look him in the eyes.

"When people from where I live die, we just leave it at that.  We forget about them.  On earth, everyone seems to hang on and remember, but I have known of you for my whole life, and you shut everyone out, so there is no one to hang onto you.  What would happen?"

I look at him, he stares back.

Without Luke, I'm alone.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

hey guys writers block on this chapter whoops.  I know where I'm going with this, now I just have to get there.

comment and vote thanks lol

-Savannah