Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Maddie's POV

I walked lightly across the woods following the path of footprints in the snow. The birds around me chirped sweetly as if they sang to me. My hand ached and I struggled to remember last nights events.

Last time I came across this path my secret was revealed and he gave me a piggyback ride all the way here.

I finally reached the gorgeous enclosure where Josh sat in a lawn chair, with his head in his hands.

"Hey," I said lamely approaching the chair next to his. "How'd you know I'd be here?" He didn't look up, he just spoke into his hands. "You told me you come here when your mad, and I can see why, such a calm scenery is relaxing." I smiled, but he didn't look up.

Slightly confused, I wedged my hand between his hand and face and pushed his hands down, forcing him to look up. His face was stained with tears and blotches of red made me feel guilty. He had been crying. I realized then, there was only one thing I could say.

"I'm sorry Joshy," I leaned in and kissed his cheek. "No, I'm sorry Maddie I acted like a jerk and I shouldn't have." he leaned in and kissed my cheek back. I realized the game here, and I kind of liked it. "But I'm the over dramatic one," I leaned in, but her turned and kissed my lips. "Beat you to it!" He laughed and I got up and ran, knowing he'd chase me.

I grabbed a fistful of snow and threw it at him until he tackled me and we laid in the snow together. "Josh what do you want for Christmas?" I asked curiously. Christmas Eve was tomorrow and I hadn't gotten anything or him, but I knew I shouldn't expect any gifts from my parents under the tree.

"I already got what I want," he squeezed my shoulder lightly, and I blushed with joy. "What about you?" He looked over at me and I cleverly found what to answer. "You know what's best for me Josh." Hoping he would get what I implied. "What happened, last night?" He finally had the courage to question me.

I sighed and tried my hardest to clear my thoughts and search for details, but I could only tell him what I knew.

"When I did the laundry before we left, a green sock fell in the white load and I turned all the clothes green. Harry was furious. He pounded me and even burnt me with his cigarette." I reached up and felt my cheek where a section full of redness had gathered. Josh's eyes listened intently and I went on.

"Then he saw the tree in the hard and pointed out, how it matched his work shirt. He forced me to climb it and I thought if I did he'd stop bothering me. I was only a few branches away from the top when my hand slipped and I fell down. I landed with a thud and felt a strong pain shoot up my wrist, but I couldn't move. I was paralyzed in time, then it all went black. Memories began to play through my head and I thought I had died, but I woke up with you next to me, in fear my father had known." I didn't mention that most of the memories consisted of Josh and I.

He just leaned in and kissed me, without saying a word.

_________________________

I woke up the next morning with a grin spread widely across my face. Today was Christmas Eve and we started Winter break off of school. I quickly changed into sweats and pulled my hair back into a ponytail.

I saw my phone light up out of the corner of my eye. Josh had texted me!

Joshy💕- See you tomorrow you're going to love my surprise!

Notice how he says surprise, not present that means Josh had taken my hint on what to get me. I quickly texted him back.

Me- What time should I come over tomorrow?

Joshy💕- Don't.

I frowned. Maybe Josh had actually misunderstood me.

I crept upstairs and quietly snuck into the kitchen to grab an ice pack to sooth my aching hand. I heard Harry grunt in the living room and knew my escape from the kitchen wouldn't be easy. I tiptoed out of the kitchen and opened the dining room window.

I don't know why we have a dining room if they constantly neglect to feed me, but it was useful in the moment.

I laid the ice pack lightly on my hand and crawled out the window to walk over to my basement window. Then I slipped inside and shut the window carefully. I groaned at the relief on my wrist as the icy feel cooled it down as the swelling slowly reduced, leaving my hand slightly less black, purple, blue, and puffy.

Joshy💕- Tomorrow morning spice up the place promptly at 8 o'clock for my arrival. Trust me.

Me- Josh, you know my parents wouldn't like that.

Joshy💕- Trust Me.

I sighed and turned my phone off. I didn't know what this boy was up to but it doesn't sound like my Christmas plans.

A/N: 15 votes for more(: We're almost to the end!!! What do you think will happen?