Chapter 17

Kiba stared at Zora, absolutely terrified for her. Because she didn't belong with the Galra, didn't belong on this warship. Kiba had been a soldier for his entire life, he couldn't remember being anything else. Before that he'd been an orphan, alone on the streets of the empire. He'd spent years fighting, bleeding, and killing for the Galra empire. He'd been furious when he'd been assigned to guard the Princess. Kiba had tried to hate her, but he couldn't. They'd been around the same age, but she seemed so much younger. Years of death and blood had hardened Kiba, something that had never happened to Zora. 

  Zora had been unlike any other Galra he had ever met. Probably because he'd only ever been around rough, angry soldiers. Zora was sweet, gentle, and soft spoken. As he stared at her, all the fear he had for her came rushing back. In front of him was someone who wouldn't hurt a fly. She'd lived on a warship with someone as horrible as Zarkon her entire life, and it hadn't broken her.  Zora was gentle and kind hearted, and incredibly naive. All that suffering, all that pain and it only made her kind. She was just as much a prisoner on this warship as the boy in the lab, and all she was focused on was easing the suffering of someone else. Zora was a light in a massive empire of darkness.

  She couldn't walk away from a situation that she knew was wrong, and it was going to get her killed. But Kiba would die first, because he would protect her if it was the last thing he did. It was his duty. All the years serving the empire, and it had only taken a few years for Kiba to become more loyal to Zora than he was the empire. 

 Because as much as he hated to admit it, Kiba was deeply and incredibly in love with Princess Zora.