Chapter 6

Sparrow's POV

I woke up in the cramped warriors' den, I knew everyone was annoyed that I slept in here but Bramblestar ordered me to, what else could I do? I decided to go for a hunt, I needed to show ThunderClan I was useful! I just needed them to know I was useful until The Doctor found me, maybe not for a while but he will find me! Right?

. . .

I walked back to camp with a mouse in my jaws, I decided to give it to Purdy. The elder was pestering me with questions.

"Are you really a thousand years old?" he asked when he saw me coming.

"Simple rounding," I replied. "I'm really nine hundred and seven years." I lowered my voice. "Purdy, you can't tell anyone. This is a secret between me and Bramblestar."

"Sure thing, Sparrow."

Purdy then ate his mouse I gave him. I wish Hollyleaf had gotten this far. I sighed.

"Why you sighin', Sparrow?" Purdy asked.

"I'm just thinking about Hollyleaf and the other cats who you lost in the Great Battle with the Dark Forest," Sparrow replied. "I know you miss Mousefur."

"How do you know about her?"

"Being nine hundred and seven years old gives me knowledge of every world."

I left Purdy to eat his mouse, Bramblestar came out of his den and shook his dark tabby pelt. Suddenly, a patrol ran into camp. Sparrow recognised Thornclaw, Cloudtail and Squirrelflight running into camp, Cloudtail was carrying a mouse.

"What's wrong?" Bramblestar asked.

Cloudtail snorted and dropped mouse. "What do you think is wrong?" he growled. "We found this mouse on the border, it was dead."

Bramblestar came closer and sniffed the mouse. "No blood, no bite marks." He looked at me. "Sparrow, you might know what it is."

I ignored Cloudtail's snorts and came closer to sniff the mouse. I gasped at the smell, it can't be...

"What is it, Sparrow?" Bramblestar asked. "Is it bad?"

I looked up at Bramblestar, I nodded.

"What is it, then?" he asked.

"You wouldn't understand," I sighed. "Everyone needs to be careful when patrolling and hunting and even going to the Gathering. And keep your eyes open for anything unusual."

I padded away, out of the camp. Dustpelt followed me.

"Why're you following me?" I hissed.

"Why aren't you telling my Clan what killed the mouse?" Dustpelt asked.

"These creatures are dangerous, I'd prefer your Clan didn't know until it was needed."