Chapter 11

Sandstorm's POV

I was leading this patrol but Dustpelt wasn't paying attention. At least this wasn't a hunting patrol. Thornclaw and Brackenfur was walking next to Dustpelt.

"I wish I had a she-cat who would love me back," Thornclaw meowed. "You struck twice. Lucky."

"I will never love after Sorreltail," Brackenfur mewed. "I know she'll be waiting for me in StarClan."

"ShadowClan will be able to hear us from their camp," I hissed.

"Sorry, Sandstorm," Thornclaw replied. "We're just talking."

I flicked my tail in anger. Dustpelt didn't say anything.

"We know you're still upset about Firestar..." Brackenfur was cut off, I jumped on top of him.

"Don't talk to me about Firestar!" I hissed.

"Sandstorm, look!" Thornclaw pointed with his paw to something across the border.

I looked over to where he was pointing, I saw a blackbird. It was dead. I got off Brackenfur to get a closer look. I couldn't see any bite marks.

"What are you doing on our territory?" I looked up to see Rowanclaw with some other ShadowClan warriors.

"I apologise, Rowanclaw," I replied. "I was---"

"Did you kill this blackbird on our territory?"

"Prey stealer!" a cat on Rowanclaw's patrol meowed.

"I didn't, none of us did," I snarled. "We saw it here."

"What kind of mouse brains do you take us for?" another cat hissed.

I took a step back, back onto my side of the border. "Sniff it yourself," I meowed.

Rowanclaw bent down and sniffed it, he turned it over.

"What's your game?" he demanded.

"We're not playing any game," I replied.

"Mouse dung! How can this blackbird be dead if no one at least bit it?"

"I don't know but you've seen it yourself, no one can hide bite marks."

"Alright, we'll let you go. This time."

I dipped my head and turned back to my patrol, Dustpelt looked very concerned. I didn't question it though. I flicked my tail for them to follow.

"We're going back to camp to tell Bramblestar," I meowed.

As we headed back to camp, we caught up with Millie's patrol. They were heading back to camp too. Dustpelt immediately was walking by Sparrow. They started talking quietly, I couldn't hear them.