8. Life's All About Risks, Right?

Chapter Eight- Life's All About Risks, Right?

I entered my English Lit classroom and took the seat behind to Chloe who was frantically waving at me from one of the middle seats. She was grinning from ear to ear which brought a smile to my tired face as well.

Right, why am I tired? Let's say that I woke up ten minutes earlier than my usual time and practically sprinted to school. Why? Oh, you know, to ditch Jake the Almighty. It was already very awkward walking with him and I wasn't ready for another day of awkward conversation. 

Just as Mr. Boyner entered, Chloe spoke. "Okay, one quick girl question," She said quickly, her voice rising a few octaves with excitement. "Whatdoesitmeanwhenaguy'sbestfriendsaysthattheyweretalkingaboutyou?" 

I blinked as my brain processed what she said. I turned toward her with a jerk, my eyes widening as my inner gossip girl took over. "Who? When? Where? How?" I fired the one-word questions at her like bullets.

Her smile grew wider -if that was possible. "Weell, George was telling me how much Tyler and Austin talk about me in the locker room. I think Tyler was blushing when he mentioned that. We four walk to school together, you know.. Actually, I don't know, his cheeks are always so red and-" She hesitated before continuing her rant, speaking more slowly and quieter this time, "Kaylee, do you- do you think he likes me? Tyler, I mean," Chloe looked at me, her eyes searching mine for confirmation. I didn't know what to say. Did Tyler like Chloe? 

Although I had my doubts, I smiled. "Y'know what? Something tells me he does." This was my chance to play matchmaker and I couldn't let it go.

Mr. Boyner was staring at me, his beady black eyes ordering me to shut up. But I couldn't. I wanted to ponder over Chloe's theory. 

What if Tyler does like Chloe? What if he always has? 

 * * *

I set my tray down next to Tyler's. Chloe had texted me saying that she was out with Austin and we shouldn't wait for her. I didn't know that Chloe bunked school. She seemed like the 'good girl' type.

Anyway, I decided to ask Tyler the question. 

I looked at Tyler and he looked back at me, his face looking hesitant.

"Can I ask you something?" 

"Could you do me a favor?"

 We spoke at the same time and ended up laughing. 

"Okay, you first." I said shrugging. I could question him another time.

"Nah, ladies first," He replied with a small shrug. I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up with the lady stuff, Teddy and tell me." I said. He opened his mouth to protest but decided against it and spoke.

"Okay, um, I need you to be my girlfriend." he said nervously.

"Your what?" I looked at Tyler weirdly. He's kidding, right?

He breathed in and looked up at me, his blue eyes anxious. "Let me rephrase that. I need you to be my pretend girlfriend," he added, "For Chloe. I mean. To um, make her jealous?" It came out more like a question than a statement. 

I just stared at him 'til the screws in my head clicked. 

I was right! Tyler really liked Chloe. And (hopefully) Chloe liked Tyler. I KNEW IT. You could see it in the way she looked at him and the way he.. spoke to her? Well, that doesn't matter. Though indirectly, Teddy did admit to liking her.