iii

CHAPTER THREE
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
H A G R I D

SHE FOLLOWED DUMBLEDORE THROUGH THE ENDLESS corridors of the gigantic castle

SHE FOLLOWED DUMBLEDORE THROUGH THE ENDLESS corridors of the gigantic castle. It was hard for her to keep up, since the paintings started muttering to each other as they saw her, pointing out at her while they gasped.

"She has awakened!"

"Unbelievable!"

"Don't mind them, dear. They do like to gossip a lot," the old man chuckled, seeing her worried state.

She nodded while she carefully walked through the narrow staircases that lead to his office.

"Sit, please."

Sitting down, she noticed there was a cat on the table. Slowly, she reached my hand to stroke it, however it jumped and walked behind her. Suddenly, lady McGonagall appeared and sat down.

"So, miss. Your appearance this evening was quite unexpected. Is there a reason for that?" He asked, with a concerned expression.

She hesitated. Should she speak the truth? Yet, something about his elderly eyes told her he knew what was going on.

"The red comet..." She breathed out.

McGonagall and Dumbledore stared at each other, silently.

"I traveled a long way to get here... and I decided I should, since I have nothing else to lose," she whispered, fiddling with her hands.

"Where do you come from, dear?" Spoke McGonagall, with a slight tremble in her voice.

"I do not remember, lad- professor McGonagall. I woke up in a forest... Ashes were everywhere, buildings broken down..."

The two adults kept staring at each other, making it look as though they were debating her stay, until he spoke up.

"You can stay."

"I deeply appreciate your kindness, Lord Dumbledore, but I do not have any goods to trade for my accommodation," she replied worried.

Dumbledore gave her a sad smile, "You needn't have to worry about that... Hogwarts is a place who welcomes those in need, a school for young wizards and witches that helps them develop to reach their full potential."

"I'm afraid I'm neither, Lord Dumbledore," she spoke sternly, finding out she was in maegi territory.

"Then what are you?" He said, questionably staring at her, and then paused, looking at McGonagall again, "you'll have to stay with Hagrid."

"Hagrid?"

"Yes, the Keeper of Keys. His hut is outside the castle, so that would mean you have to wake up earlier to get to your classes."

She nodded to herself as she remembered the hut she saw earlier. The girl gulped, somehow worried she'd end up being like them.

"So, miss, don't be afraid of him. He's a really friendly giant, maybe you can help him around while he tells you more about Hogwarts."

"I will, Lord Dumbledore. Thank you," she said, as she stood up from the chair and cautiously walked towards the door.

"I'm guessing you know where it is?" He smiled.

"I do, thank you for everything."

When the girl disappeared through the door, McGonagall looked at Dumbledore, worried.

"Albus, this is wrong."

She ran through the empty corridors, waking the paintings up, hence she didn't care and kept running towards the exit. Pushing the double doors with all her strength, they finally opened. The cold wind hit her face as she ran euphorically through the gardens, making her way towards Hagrid's hut. The sky was inked with sparkling stars, illuminating her path-

She gasped as she tripped over a branch, making her fly and crash on the ground with a loud thud after rolling through the grass. Wincing in pain as she stood up, she dusted the dirt out of her clothes and giggled. It had been a long time... After travelling all this time, she finally felt a spark of happiness ignite in her heart as she yelled Hagrid's name when she saw his hut.

"Ser Hagrid! Ser Hagrid!" She laughed.

She watched the door slowly open from a distance, as a large man stepped out with a lantern, squinting his eyes.

"Oi!" He yelled, "What're ya doin' here? Get back before they find out!"

She ran the short distance separating them and crashed on his belly, making him breath out abruptly.

"Good evening!" She panted, "I will be staying with you, Dumbledore said I could be helpful," she smiled looking at the large pumpkins around his hut.

" 'Tis about time Dumbledore finally gave me an assistant," he muttered, "Anyway, come on in!"

The giant stepped aside, letting her in. The place was spacious compared to what it looked from outside, the warm atmosphere relaxing her instantly.

"There's a new room I've been reforming over the years for my assistant, and it's finally going to be used," he pointed at a mahogany door.

She nodded as she sat down, he was preparing tea for them. The kettle started shaking while steam furiously came out, making Hagrid rush towards the chimney.

"So what's your na–"

A frantic yell escaped from his mouth as he removed his hands from the glowing kettle.

"My mittens! Blimey!" He exclaimed, while blowing air at his hand.

She stood up, the kettle was going to explode anytime soon, and Hagrid was still looking for his mittens. She had to do something. Walking towards the chimney, she took the kettle out of the fire.

"Girl! What' ya doin'?" He yelled, thinking she'd burned herself.

She hummed confused as she turned around to face him, the glowing kettle still on her hands. His eyes were wide when he got closer and snatched the kettle away from her, as he already had his mittens, splattering some boiling water on her skin in the process.

Rummaging through his draws, he took out a small box that contained some bandages.

"Ser Hagrid, I'm fine!" she assured, showing him her unwounded hands.

"B- but..."

"I'm fine."

Sighing, he nodded defeated as she looked at her hands. What just happened was beyond her comprehension.

She prepared some tea for then, since Hagrid was too busy processing the incident.