The Final Chapter

(Nicole's POV)
I grin widely as Dutch Harbor comes to view, fog hanging high. It's been such a long trip out at sea, I'm going crazy. I jump as an icy hand touches my shoulder. I turn to find Nick grinning at me, his weary eyes bright and alive. "I'm going to kiss the ground when we get off."

I laugh and nod in agreement, the only time my mouth would ever go near the ground. He removes his hand and turns his head to Dutch. "You've done great, kid. I'm glad that you're on the crew." I give a wide grin and pat his shoulder "you're not so bad yourself." He chuckles and walks away just as we pull into port.

XxXxXxXxXxXx

The last of the work is finished, getting the crab off the boat. My old manager looks down at me and gives me a thumbs up. I roll my eyes and walk away, only to run into Mandy and Jake.

So they get kicked off the ships and end up working at the processor. Lovely.

"Wow you guys hauled in a lot." Jake grinned at me jokingly, causing me to scoff. "We did a hell of a lot better than you would've." With that I walked away and got off the boat.

From a distance I see Josh smiling at me, causing a light blush to find it's way to my cheeks. I smile back and start walking in his direction. As we met halfway, he picked me up and spun me around. I laughed and wiggled from his grasp.

"You guys pulled in the most this time, great job." "You guys weren't too far off." "Yeah, because we didn't have you on deck."

I punched his arm playfully "oh shut up, you guys are way better than me." He chuckled and looked past me. I turned around an followed his gaze to Jake and Mandy.

"That's still bothering you?" "It's not nothing you?" "It's whatever at this point. If they want to be together, let them." He sighed and shook his head. "I don't know how you're being so optimistic about this Nic." I chuckled and looked down at the ground "being out at sea gives you plenty of time to think."

"Fair enough." He smiled at me and rested his arm on my shoulder. "How about we go get some dinner? Any things gotta be better than ship meals."

"Sounds great."

XxXxXxXxXxXxXx

Josh and I sat at the booth of Applebee's dying of laughter. One of the customers got mouthy with their waiter so the waiter "accidentally" tripped and spilled her drink on her.

"Well, it's great to see there's still fun in the culinary workplaces." I stopped laughing and caught my breath.  "So, are you coming back next season?" Josh said hopefully, a small smile playing at the corner of his lips.

"Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't I? It's not like I have a boyfriend or husband to keep me at home."

"True."

"What about you Josh? Have you got a wife or girlfriend?" I crossed my fingers under the table. I know it seems stupid to like the brother of my ex, but we've gotten very close since the whole Jake and Mandy incident happened.

"No, I don't have the time." He grinned and rolled his eyes slightly at his own statement. I smiled back happily and took the last bite of my food.

"Alright, well I should get going." I stood up and placed the money with the bill. "So should I, it's going to be a long night."

He handed me back my money and set his own down. "Josh, I can pay." I chuckled and went to grab his money. He stopped putting on his jacket and swatted my hand like a child's. "Nope, I'm paying."

I slid on my jacket and rolled my eyes "fine stubborn." We walked out of the restaurant and to his car. "I'll drive you back to your house." "I can walk Josh, you don't have to."

"No, I insist. C'mon." We got in his car and started towards my house.

The drive the silent, the only sound being the heater. As he parked the car, I leaned over and gave him a hug. He hugged back and I could feel him smile against my neck.

"Thanks for dinner and the ride." "No problem."

I nodded and started to open my door, "wait."

I stopped and turned to him confused. He opened his mouth, but stopped and leaned over. He pressed his lips to mine, and I melted into his kiss.

"Lets go inside." I muttered softly.

XxXxXxXx

I chuckled breathlessly as I lay my head on his chest. He chuckled in return and wrapped his arm around my waist. "Well that escalated quickly."

"I'm not complaining." He muttered and kissed the top of my head softly. I smirked and looked up at him. He rolled his eyes and chuckled "thank you for the going away present."

"I must say the same, I don't know how you did that thing you did, but oh my." I kissed his jawline and laid my head back down.

"Promise me you won't get into a relationship while I'm gone." I looked him with wide eyes and he smiled. "Why not?" I interjected. "Because, I really like you and I want to be with you. But I won't be able to see you until I come back."

"Fair enough." I smiled and he kissed me soft and passionately. "I have to get going my love, but I will see you when I come back."

He got up from bed and threw on his clothes.

I sat up and looked up him, the sheet wrapped tightly around me.  "Promise me you'll call?"
"Of course."

He gave me one last peck and walked out.

Maybe we have something good in store.

(AND THATS THE END! I'm so sorry the final chapter took so long loves! The first few chapters are finished and ready to be published for book 2. There are great things in store, I promise. Chapter one of book two will be published on March 3rd. See you then loves ❤️)