the journey part 1

chapter 8: the journey part 1

I set fire to the logs. I watch the bright flames dance in front of my eyes. I watch them contract and explode. That fire is the representation of my life. It goes up and disappears to almost nothing. The thing I 'm afraid of most is when that fire gets put out. I think about life as it is. It begins and ends, there's nothing else to it. But since West came into my life, there's that in-between zone where I'm stuck in and it's just me, living my life. Which I have not done since the age of 6. 

I shivered as I moved closer to the wood. "Hey, I'm getting hungry. You have any food?" My stomach growled. My stomach is like a beast. A beast who hasn't feast. (ahahahahah clever right?)

"Lemme check...nope. Got nothing. How about we go to a convenient store? I think I saw one down south that way." He pointed to the direction. I couldn't help but notic that he was shaking a little bit.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. I guess I just never thought that this would happen to me." 

"I understand. It's like an earthquake. Unexpected and changes your life."

"And all your waiting for now are the aftershocks." The conversation went on like this for hours until we decided to start walking to the convenient store. We figured that it would be better if we went at night. That way, we'll be prepared if they come at night (which they most likely will).

                                               -----------------------------------------------------------------

"A buffalo taquito and a blue gatorade please, what do you want Jen?"

"Uh, I want a candy cup and a bag of lays." My hand was slowly scrunching into a ball. 

Boom, boom, pow, pow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I punched the register guy in the nose. 

After he passed out, West had this weird, shocked look on his face. "Woah. I didn't know you had that in you. Remind me not to get on your bad side."

I rubbed my hands together, "No problem." I said with a grin on my face. "Let's just get some food and get out of here." 

"You sure poor guy over here won't have any permanant brain damage?"

"No, probably not anyways. Lets go!" I said with a slight crooked smile on my face.

We stuffed all the food we could fit into 6 huge plastic bags. We took that guy's stool cushion as well. At least one of us will have a pillow. 

                                              -------------------------------------------------------------------

We started eating everything. Twinkies, starbursts, chips, hotdogs, beef jerky, literally anything. I guess so much for being on a healthier diet. We set up the "beds", then we laid down with our backs on the stool cushions. Our face looking up at the stars. 

I sighed a small sigh, put my arms around my head, and said, "Isn't it beautiful?"

West looked tilted his head to look at me, "It is. It really is."