Special

"She was drawn to him in ways she didn't understand. His eyes ran through her soul, following her, chasing her... they were the only eyes that could stop her dead in her tracks while traveling at the speed of light."
-NR Hart

Paul was nervous.

Ryder had invited him over a few hours ago, giving him a very specific time to come over. When he'd asked her more about what they'd be doing, she hadn't answered. Now, standing in front of her house and only hearing one heartbeat, Paul's heart was racing. She'd told him to wear something comfortable, something that he'd wear to sleep. It was already late out and he was anxiously wondering if she wanted him to spend the night.

She'd been much more open with him in the past few weeks, ever since she gave him the book. They'd held hands and shared a few fleeting touches, but they hadn't had their first kiss yet. It was stupid for him to think that something big to happen tonight, but when Ryder greeted him at the door with a large hug, the thought became all the more plausible.

"Hey." Ryder pulled away, her eyes meeting Paul's. She was still wrapped in his arms, feeling so warm and safe that she couldn't keep the huge grin off her face. She'd been in a good mood all day, meticulously planning for the special night.

"Hi." Paul whispered back breathlessly. Her hair was down and he loved it like that. It fell in tousled curls, stopping above her shoulders and framing her face. Her eyes danced in happiness and he couldn't help but pull her into another hug. "I missed you."

"I saw you two days ago." Ryder teased, tightening her grip around his shoulders before pulling away. Paul was dressed in a black t shirt and grey sweatpants, having taken her advice to wear comfortable clothes. Her mouth dried out slightly as she looked at him, at how the clothes hugged his muscles.

"Two days is too long." Paul grinned, pressing a kiss to her temple. "One day is too long."

"We get it, you're obsessed with me." Ryder laughed, grabbing his hand and pulling him further inside, shutting the door behind him.

"You have no idea." Paul wrapped his arms around her waist again, not wanting to ever let her go. He lifted her up, twirling her around. The feel of Ryder Kane in his arms was the most wonderful thing he'd ever experienced and he couldn't get enough of it.

"Paul!" She giggled, smacking at his chest. He still felt victorious though, at how she'd shuttered when he'd whispered into the crook of his neck. "Hands off, buddy."

Ryder put some distance between her and Paul, trying to clear her befuddled mind. She had a plan for tonight and it was getting ruined by him and his stupid presence messing with her brain. He looked amazing and she wanted nothing more than to curl up in his arms forever but she at least had to put the plan in motion first.

"Sorry, you're just so huggable." Paul smirked. His eyes left Ryder's face for the first one, noticing her oversized t shirt and leggings. "Dressed to impress, huh?"

"Always." Ryder chuckled, moving away from Paul to turn the oven off. Pulling on a pair of oven mitts, she paused as she felt Paul's eyes on her and heard his loud sniff. "Can I help you?"

Paul narrowed his eyes slightly, confused. "Why do I smell pretzels? And caramel popcorn?"

Ryder didn't answer, instead choosing to open the oven. She pulled out the tray of oven baked soft pretzels, grinning to herself. Jared had told her that soft pretzels were Paul's favorite food in the entire world. This was her third batch, having burnt the first and added too little yeast to the second, and luckily it had turned out perfect. Jared had also mentioned that Paul loved caramel corn while watching movies and the large bowl in the other room was courtesy of his advice.