Sunrise

If my love were an ocean, 

there would be only land. 

If my love were a desert,

 you would see only sand. 

If my love were a star- 

late at night, only light. 

And if my love could grow wings, 

I'd be soaring in flight." 

-Jay Asher

Mornings in La Push were foggy.

It seemed as if every surface was covered by a rolling cloud of condensation, a thick blanket of cool that chilled Ryder to the bone. The air seemed to cling to her as she walked, wrapping her in a moist blanket of haze.

She'd hated it when she first moved, but now there was something about the refreshing quality of the fog that made her revel in the cool cover. It was a like the first breath on a winter's day, a cold and sharp sensation that traveled through her body and made her feel alive.

"Oh shi-" Ryder couldn't help but let out a peal of laughter as Paul careened over a root, the tip of his shoe catching on the surface. He fell fully onto the ground as if on purpose, his hands stopping his face from colliding fully with the leaf covered ground. She almost bent down to help him until he looked her way, lips quirked in a smirk and his brown eyes laughing. With a wink her way, Paul lowered his body and raised it, rapidly going through more than a dozen push ups.

"Nice save." Ryder rolled her eyes at his cheesy display of strength, averting her eyes so that she could refrain from gazing hungrily at his rippling back muscles. Paul had figured out her weakness for his muscles early on and although he acted offended for being "looked at like a piece of meat", he'd been intent on showing off the benefits from the rigorous training his alpha forced him into.

"Yeah?" Paul pushed himself up, giving a mock bow before wrapping an arm around her waist. Ryder almost forgot the cold December air as the heat from his furnace of a body seeped through her jacket and into her skin. "Impressed?" His eyes twinkled with humor, knowing just how affected she was when he showed off for her. It made him feel like he was on the top of the world, knowing that she was attracted to him, even if it was but a fraction of what he felt for her. Things had been slow in the physical aspect of their relationship, fleeting kisses and cuddles becoming the main component. But Paul didn't mind at all- he savored every moment he was with his imprint and was willing to wait an eternity as long as she was beside him.

However, his resolve was substantially weakened when she looked at him with such a fire in her that he thought he would combust.

Ryder snaked a hand around the back of her boyfriend's neck and pulled him down to her level. Her lips met his needily, pressing against his in such a way that Paul felt his knees go weak. He pulled her closer, allowing Ryder to dictate the kiss and reveling in her dominant, passionate movements.

Ryder disconnected their lips and breathed in deeply, not making a move to leave the warmth of Paul's embrace. He chuckled, pressing a feathery kiss against her cheek even though he really wanted to simply devour her. "I take that as a yes-"

Paul barely had time to finish his teasing comment before Ryder had pressed him against a tree and connected their lips once more. She pulled him closer, savoring his warm skin, soft lips and the fog winding around them.