Alex 16

I was having a rather nice time catching up with Dani when we were so rudely interrupted by screams and shouts. I swear, every time I happen to get to talk to her, something just has to happen. First I got sucked into a rock. Then I go into a coma right when I was about to go talk to her. And now, someone's outside my cabin screaming about some dragon. Don't get me wrong, I love dragons. Not that they are real or anything, just saying. Then the whole camp rumbled from a roar, startling both Dani and I.

"What was that?" Said Dani, her voice starting to shake.

"I have no idea," I replied. "Could be a bear, but none of the bears I've seen have made that loud a roar. Whatever it is is big and angry."

"A bear?" She said, her eyes tearing up. "But we have security for that kind of thing. What if...what if Jack sent something else?"

"Where's the brave, fearless Dani I saw just yesterday?" I smirked. "She wouldn't be afraid anything, living or nonliving. I've heard the stories."

"That's different," she said, a smile playing on her lips. "People, I'm not afraid of. But animals, especially huge vicious ones, make me deathly afraid."

"Sure sure, whatever you say," I smiled. "Besides, Orion probably has it all under control. Let's go see what's up."

She punched me in the arm and stood up, motioning for me to do the same.

"Let's go, prince charming," she winked. "There's a dragon that requires your attention."

After I got up, we both rushed out the door, and ran towards the roar, neither of us thinking of the possible danger that we may get into.

Another roar resounded throughout the camp, sounding like it came from the pavilion. We got to the pavilion right as Millie and Orion ran off into the woods, following the destructive tracks of the same animal that made the roar.

"Um, do you think we should follow them and help?" Asked Dani.

"Hmm, I'm honestly not sure," I said. "I really want to, but I don't know how I could be of any help. I barely have any control over my power. Last time I used it, I went into a coma. I may set fire to the whole camp again."

"Well, you're not the only one," chuckled Dani, pointing to some smoke off in the distance. "Seems like someone else is just as fire prone as you are."

"Hey!" I pouted. "It's not like I could control it last time. And besides, my fire didn't actually burn and hurt anything, unlike that, uh, thing."

Dani looked like she was about to respond to that, but decided otherwise and smiled. A second later, her smile faded, and her eyes lost their twinkle.

"What?" I asked. "Whats wrong? Is it something I said?"

"Oh it's...nothing. You just have no idea how frightened I was for you when I heard that the infirmary was on fire," she said softly. "I...I really like you Alex. When everyone started to scream about the fire, I became so afraid that I might lose another one of my friends. You don't know what I felt. You said that your fire didn't hurt anything, and that's true. Although if that happens again in the future, I don't know what I'll do. Just... stay safe for me, ok?"

"I'll try my very best, I promise," I said. "Besides, with you by my side, I'll be invincible."

I tried to say that with as much confidence as possible, but the thing is, I didn't know what the future was going to hold for me. I didn't want to get attached to another person, then lose them right after. After my mom left my dad and I, I became skeptical of everyone, trusting no one. Then Edward and Millie came along, and that changed. But I was still wary of others, and I wasn't sure if getting close to Dani would be good for me. Realizing that she might notice that something might be wrong, I quickly smiled, making her smile in return.