Black Bird Troublemaker

*Lily*

The morning buzz of the Great Hall was almost too much for me. I had a raging headache from not getting enough sleep, and I'm sure Sirius was flat out drunk last night and had a raging hangover, but everyone still shared the same lively banter as always. However, there had been some new progress. Instead of sitting all separately - the girls, the Sixth Years, and the Marauders - we were all crowded on the end section of the table farthest from the door together. That is, everyone minus one Remus Lupin.

*Remus*

I was asleep, and then I was here, in the library. I had slept through most of the Sunday breakfast, and it was nearly over, but I could always go to the kitchens later for a little morning brunch. Food could wait. This book, however, couldn't wait.

Lucky for me, Madam Pince was at breakfast with the rest of the teachers, so returning a book to the Restricted Section and snatching a new one was indescribably easy.

After swapping the books, I returned to the Common Room, and I got comfortable on a plush chair near the ever-burning fireplace of the Gryffindor Common Room.

I opened the book and started to read, opening the book to Chapter Three- The Raevn's Moon: Werewolf Transformation Effects.

My confidence that everything was going to be alright was shot. It was that simple.

_<_<<_<_<<_<_<<_<_<<_<_<<_

Everyone returned from breakfast at precisely 9 o'clock, and I was waiting for them.

I awkwardly pulled Lily away from her chattering friends, and I let out a soft whisper to James as I passed. "Go to the place," I had told him.

"What is going on, Remus? Is everything alright?" Lily questioned me in a hushed whisper, concern shining in her eyes.

I sighed. "Yes, everything's alright," I told her, my eyes flicking around the Common Room for any eavesdroppers. "For now. Just come with me, please."

Lily looked at me with an expression of steely resolve, demanding me to explain that instant. However, I won't budge either.

"We're just going to the Astronomy Tower, okay?" I pleaded with my eyes.

"Fine, fine," Lily gave in, waving her hand in a signal of nonchalance.

Soon, I was dragging her through the castle by the wrist. Lily belted out protests along the way of "Slow down!" and "Remus, that hurts!"

I let go of her wrist, and I jogged up the last couple of stairs to the Astronomy Tower to find the Marauders already lounging on the floor waiting for us.

*Lily*

With a solemn look, Remus fished a book out of the blazer jacket he was wearing. He plopped down on the stone floor next to the rest of the Marauders, and I mimicked his actions. However, I did this with caution. I had not the slightest clue as to the specifics of what was occurring. I didn't like that feeling, but by Remus' dire demeanor, I had a feeling it wasn't good news.

Remus took the old, leather bound book he held delicately in his right hand, and he slid it across the polished, marble floor to James' feet. James peered at it with a peculiar expression.

"What is this?" he demanded. None of the Marauders seemed themselves as if sensing Remus' attitude. None were cracking jokes, and none looked in the bit positive or lively.

"Just open it to the marked page and read it out loud," Remus countered.

James gave him one more suspicious look before he cracked open the book to a page with a braided piece of leather stuck in the folds.

"The Raevn's Moon: Werewolf Transformation Effects," James read the chapter title out loud. He raised an eyebrow, and I sucked in a breath. My gazed flickered between Remus' stony expression, and the book James held in his hand. "The Raevn's Moon, a moon caused by unnatural factors including the combination of two Native American rituals, is one of few abnormal lunar occurrences that affects nocturnal, supernatural creatures. Werewolves in particular."

"Remus, what does this-" Sirius demanded, only for Remus to cut him off.

"Just finish the passage," he pressed.

James continued to look into the book.

"The Raevn's Moon causes extremely abnormal behavior relating to the process of the monthly/bi-monthly transformation of werewolves. The effects of the regular transformation process last longer before and after the transformation. At this time, usually a week before and after the transformation, the wolf side of the person becomes more prominent. A werewolf becomes more possessive of what they care for and more aggressive towards their opponents. 

However, the most astonishing effect of the Raevn's Moon is that on the night of the moon the werewolf does not go through the transformation process at all. Instead, it is as if the wolf side of said person takes over their mind and body completely, and their personality becomes severely altered from their normal nature. Nothing that occurs during this state of mind can be pinned against the werewolf in human form because they had essentially no control over any action or thought that occurred the night of the Raevn's Moon.

This lunar occurrence is called the Raevn's Moon because, in Native American legends, ravens are thought of as culture heros. The Raven can do many great things, but he also has a reputation as a trickster and troublemaker. The Raven is noted from his traits of greed and impatience, but also his heroism and bravery," James finished, an astonished look on his face as he slowly closed the book and handed it back to Remus, who slipped it back in his blazer.

My gaze flashed quickly around the room, taking in the reaction of each Marauder and how Remus just stared back, looking almost as if he were about to cry. It was all silence as well as soaked up this information. This was what Remus had been looking for.

"I- I think there's something wrong with me..." Remus stuttered. "I think that moon is the one coming up. I know I've been acting off lately and now I know why. Just... can you tell everyone to just back off for a while? I'm so afraid I'm going to hurt someone, somehow."

Remus gave us all a hard look. "Can I trust you to do that for me?" he asked.

We all nodded slowly, but Sirius still looked unsure. He hesitantly questioned,

"But Remus, if this moon is the one coming up, it's the next full moon. That is nearly two weeks away.

How do we even know we're talking to the real you right now?"